turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

new york birds

Started by adamtb, April 12, 2011, 08:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamtb

Anyone seeing birds out in central ny??? i have been driving around alot the last few weeks and the birds are few and far between! Deffinatly not like years past. just wondering if anyone else is experiancing the same thing. i know we had a tough winter but i didnt think it was this bad :(

njdevilsb

I'm in Watertown, Upstate, and I'm seeing some.  I haven't been out too much looking but I saw a group of about 15 tonight on the way back from picking my niece up from dance.  It looked like all hens, but I'm sure there had to be a gobbler not too far behind.  My dad has seen a few groups near where we hunt and a few have been strutting.  I need to get down to our hunting lease one of these nights to see whats out feeding and strutting just before roost time.  

We went down this weekend and patterned our guns and only saw 1 hen, but it was pretty early in the afternoon. When we go down to roost them before a hunt, we usually don't see them until about 2 hours or so before fly up.

Only 2 and a half weeks left.   ;D

AdamZ

I was in the woods Sunday finally getting my treestand out and a gobbler went off about 50 yards from me and my son. He flushed into a tree, then flew down to a swampy area where not less than 2 minutes later...BOOM..BOOM.
I was pissed.
Poachers suck,
But I've seen birds in  my areas, my son just turned 12 and has all his credentials as well as my Dad's getting his stuff again this year so we can do a 3 generation gobbler triple this year.
We'll have fun arguing who gets to shoot first, it'll be my dad, my boy, then me...
AZ
PS I'm huntin early in NC this year, too. NEXT WEEK.
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

TauntoHawk

I don't live in NY but I hunt there every year, south of Albany. My buddys been txting me saying he's seeing tons of birds at all our properties. Think it might be our best spring in years
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: AdamZ on April 12, 2011, 08:50:07 PM
I was in the woods Sunday finally getting my treestand out and a gobbler went off about 50 yards from me and my son. He flushed into a tree, then flew down to a swampy area where not less than 2 minutes later...BOOM..BOOM.
I was pissed.
Poachers suck,
But I've seen birds in  my areas, my son just turned 12 and has all his credentials as well as my Dad's getting his stuff again this year so we can do a 3 generation gobbler triple this year.
We'll have fun arguing who gets to shoot first, it'll be my dad, my boy, then me...
AZ
PS I'm huntin early in NC this year, too. NEXT WEEK.

I'd call the D.E.C..   I can't stand that STUFF!  :angry9:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

TClark

Statan island is loaded with the from what i see on the news.
Take Care and be blessed,
Terry

College Students
http://4gcellpay.com/

2INCHHOOKS

Unfortunately you can not hunt Staten Island ... I grew up in Dutchess County NY talking with some buddy's birds are all over as always in this county.. there was a tough winter but did not seem to affect them much.. going to try to make it up there at some point in may if I can. Good Luck in NY just because you dont see them now does not always mean they are not around.

PANYHunter

Just talked to a guy i hunt with up there in Tioga County.  He said turkeys are all around gobbling and strutting like crazy.  I've been seeing them everywhere in Tioga County, PA which is right on the border.  

Quote from: AdamZ on April 12, 2011, 08:50:07 PM
.BOOM..BOOM.
I was pissed.
Poachers suck,

Yep I'd call DEC if you knew for a fact they were poachin.  No use complaining about it if you don't do anything about it.

NYGobblergetter

I live in Onondaga and hunt several counties around there. I ran into a group of 10-15 birds in the woods on saturday. I saw all hens, but I imagine there was a gobbler there. After that, I walked up the hill and a gobbler went off about 150 yards away. Sounded like he was by himself. Closer to where I live, I have seen two gobblers in a persons front yard with 8 hens. I wish I could get permission to set up in there backyard. I think as the fields start to green up we will be seeing more birds around. The winter was pretty rough, so hopefully there was not much die off

adamtb

Yeah i hunt in wayne county up by lake ontario. Unfortunatly the poaching and hunting pressure up here is rediculous!!! Being the winter was rough im hoping there wasnt much die off but not seeing birds isnt help me think otherwise. In years past i have always been able to drive around and see them in a few local fields. Those fields everyone knew about and always were talked about but year after year the birds were always there but this year i havent seen any in them... Just not sure it the birds are still hiding out in there winter stomping grounds or are just not alive :-\ Time will tell. one thing i do know is i have always heard the countys to the south always have great bird hunting. Maybe its time to look into a lease southbound???

AdamZ

Quote from: PANYHunter on April 13, 2011, 07:58:07 AM
Yep I'd call DEC if you knew for a fact they were poachin.  No use complaining about it if you don't do anything about it.

I did call DEC, while I was hanging off a tree in a harness. They said unless I actually saw the bird tip over, saw a guy carrying it, or if someone was shot, they couldn't do a thing.
There's all of 4 houses on that end of the property to pick from and I wasn't going to confront anyone. 1800 TIPP DEC is touted all over at hunter ed courses, what we teach the kids, etc and they didn't do anything when I called.
Local police sent some cars to look around but didn't knock on any doors.

I'm seeing birds, though, but that gobbler was the first one I'd seen in that area in a while, now i know why...

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: AdamZ on April 13, 2011, 09:20:47 AM

I did call DEC, while I was hanging off a tree in a harness. They said unless I actually saw the bird tip over, saw a guy carrying it, or if someone was shot, they couldn't do a thing.
There's all of 4 houses on that end of the property to pick from and I wasn't going to confront anyone. 1800 TIPP DEC is touted all over at hunter ed courses, what we teach the kids, etc and they didn't do anything when I called.

I'm seeing birds, though, but that gobbler was the first one I'd seen in that area in a while, now i know why...

It's tough to get them to respond in such a large state with limmited personnel(cut backs :character0029:). The C.O would have to be close by at the time of the incident,To have actually done something.
That is a great state to hunt turkey. My favorite by far. Beautiful country.   

AdamZ

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 13, 2011, 09:33:54 AM

It's tough to get them to respond in such a large state with limmited personnel(cut backs :character0029:). The C.O would have to be close by at the time of the incident,To have actually done something.

That's the truth. TrackeySuarus. We have to handle our sport from within when there's trouble a brewin'. I'll hunt that spot the rest of my life, I'll run into them people someday and handle it when the blood stops boiling on both ends of the conversation. It's never wise to confront someone with a loaded gun on either side of the conversation.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: AdamZ on April 13, 2011, 09:44:35 AM
Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 13, 2011, 09:33:54 AM

That's the truth. TrackeySuarus. We have to handle our sport from within when there's trouble a brewin'. I'll hunt that spot the rest of my life, I'll run into them people someday and handle it when the blood stops boiling on both ends of the conversation. It's never wise to confront someone with a loaded gun on either side of the conversation.
:agreed: Good luck with that and B-Safe!

lmbhngr