OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snow in the black hills wth

Started by wdog, May 14, 2017, 11:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolandstrutters

Quote from: hobbes on May 18, 2017, 07:14:04 PM
I'd definitely check out the birds mentioned if you can get that info.  I wouldnt exactly count on the assumption that theyve not been hunted, but that doesn't mean they aren't still there.  Keep putting the miles on, and don't hesitate to do plenty of yelping and cutting to locate Merriam's.   Just make sure that you are ready to set up quickly if needed.

Yeah you're right I can't guarantee they haven't been hunted.  It was one of the few places that no matter how much we walked we didn't see any signs of humans.  And lots of turkey sign too.  It wasn't as accessible as most of the spots which I think is why.  I walked 14 miles without hitting a main road and didn't touch probably but a quarter of the chunk of land in the that spot. 

wdog

Put 12 miles on the boots today and finally found some turkey sign and had one work. Man Do these things move fast! Caught me off guard but hey im learning. snow in the forecast should make things interesting.

wdog

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement fellas it's definitely keeping me motivated.

JMalin

Snow isn't necessarily a bad thing (see my New Mexico thread).  Good luck.  I leave for Nebraska Saturday night. 

Bolandstrutters

wdog

Finally a calm night. Was able to put 2 birds to bed. At em in the am

JMalin

Quote from: wdog on May 19, 2017, 11:20:08 PM
Finally a calm night. Was able to put 2 birds to bed. At em in the am

Get in early, get in tight, and on their level. 

The Woodsman

Good luck! I'm looking forward to the pictures!!

Denny

wdog

A hen ended up coming to the bird gobbling his head off this morning. I fired her up and she came right in with the tom in tow. He got to about 80 and just strutted back and forth. Back at em tomorrow, one more morning. Midday toady was a bust.

JMalin

If you pinpointed the tree he was in this morning, you should be able to slip in and bust him on his way bask to roost.

wdog

Well got it done last morning of the season headed back to wisconsin with a merriams in the cooler. Anyone want to help me post a pic.?

Fieldturkey

Way to go man, that will make the ride home a lot easier

hobbes

Congrats.  There should be some instructions for posting photos somewhere.

POk3s

wvspitndrum