OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snow in the black hills wth

Started by wdog, May 14, 2017, 11:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdog

Leaving Tuesday for lead, sd. The weather looks atrocious. Going the last week of the season I figured we didn't need to worry about snow. It's got the wifey freaking out. Any tips for the bad weather? were thinking of even scrapping the trip and taking the loss. Idk all the planning and prep sucks when I see the forecast.

hobbes

That's the chance you take with western hunts.  The weather does look sketchy, but it's probably not impossible hunting.  It's the same weather pattern that's moving through Montana.  I'm not sure if the BH are like us, but we can have multiple days of 50%+ forecast and still see very little moisture.  We'll see the cold and clouds but our moisture is nowhere near as continuous as the Midwest or East.   However, we can still have some miserable weather. 

I've done NW Nebraska late season several times that I hunted 4 days of rain.  Sometimes just a drizzle or must, but sometimes a drenched.  Although not quite as cold as BH.

hobbes

Another thought...jump to the next week, hope the weather improves, hunt Nebraska and do a day trip to see the sights in the BH.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Merriams are probably the least affected by inclement weather of all the subspecies of turkey. They will gobble in the snow and there will be plenty of lonely late season birds.

If you have the ability to hit another state where the weather will be better, I'd consider that but the truth is, many people have killed merriams in snow storms and I'm sure there's someone on this forum who will a black hills turkey during the dates you're supposed to be there.

Fair weather hunters save a lot of turkeys for the rest of us.  Don't be a fair weather hunter.

Bolandstrutters

It snowed 6 inches the morning we got there a few weeks ago.  The soil temp is warm, especially since we've been there.  The snow will melt pretty quick.  If you haven't been there you'll spend the first day or so driving around getting a feel for the area anyways. 

hobbes

I used to do these trips with family (wife and 3 kids) and only one kid was hunting.  That is where the real misery comes in.  The wife and kids wanted to enjoy nice weather and be away from home in a new place, especially a place like the Blackhills.  It was a mini vacation for them, not a death march in miserable weather.  You need to weigh in your wife's part in the trip.  Leaving her in a hotel room watching tv while you tough out the weather may not win you any points,for more trips.  My wife toughed them out with me but never enjoyed the raining cold weather and being stuck in a cabin.  I usually spent extra cash on local restaurants and movie theatres with her and the kids and didn't hunt a lot of evenings on those trips.

tha bugman

wdog

Yeah I honestly don't mind the crappy weather I know that comes with planning a out of state hunt. I just don't want her miserable I still think we might go ahead and roll with it.  I have 400 dollars invested in tags and down payment for the cabin. If anything it'll help with the learning curve for next year if we come back. I will definitely bring the pop up blind for comfort they don't mind those do they?

hobbes

I've not used them and not hunted the BH specifically.  However, the birds there will respond similar to anywhere else.  I would recommend being somewhat mobile anywhere that you hunt Merriam's.  Riverbottom country may be the exception.

spaightlabs

The birds won't even notice a pop up blind and your wife will likely appreciate it.

Make sure your rig is adequately equipped with emergency stuff and even better, stuff to self-extricate.

High plains drifter

I would try to get one the day after the snow, when it gets nice.

kjnengr

All it takes is being in the right place at the right time. My one trip to South Dakota was pretty much 2-1/2 days of rain on a three day trip. We were cold and wet and covered many miles searching for birds. On the last afternoon the weather broke and the sun began to shine. The birds came alive as soon as the sun broke through the clouds. I would do it all again if I had to. With good rain gear of course. I couldn't imagine hunting in those conditions without it.

wdog

That's what I'm hoping, Saturday looks clear for now

bbcoach

As I stated when you were asking about a 4 wheel drive vehicle or not for your hunt, South Dakota is very susceptible to snow their entire spring turkey season.  We went the last week of their season a few years ago and we were greeted with 6 inches of snow on our first day of our hunt.  We didn't hunt the first day because it snowed almost all day that first day.  We hunted the second and third day with snow on the ground but it didn't effect the turkeys at all.  As soon as the sun came out, the birds were back to gobbling and moving.  Good Luck and enjoy the adventure.

wdog

Thanks guys were headed out in a few hours. I will keep y'all updated hopefully we can get a break in the weather and scratch a bird or two.