turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SS box call question

Started by Coop1082, May 14, 2017, 10:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

I've more or less understood from the reviews on her to just pick a combo from Al and Josh that suits your eye and it will spit feathers. I've got my eyes set on either butternut/kwila, poplar/jatoba, or butternut/maple. If anyone has one of these can you give me your best description of their sound? For what it's worth I own a purpleheart/cedar Halloran short box so looking for something with a different sound then that wood combo produces.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

letinmfly

Call Al and speak to him directly.  He'll answer all your questions and help you pick out the best call for you.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Ol Yelper

I have a Butternut/Kwila and I like it a lot. It clucks and cuts great, really pops. Has a good two note yelp, med high pitch, and med rasp. Calls soft real well to. You'll really like this call. And the call seems to be getting better and better the more I use it.

outdoors

Quote from: letinmfly on May 14, 2017, 10:22:31 PM
Call Al and speak to him directly.  He'll answer all your questions and help you pick out the best call for you.

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

nyhunter

definitely call Al or Josh, i have butternut/Kwila and poplar/Jatoba. Ol Yelper described the butternut/Kwila very well, the popula/Jatoba has a higher front to the yelp and a little more rasp at the end. you cant go wrong with any calls from these guys. I have 8 and there all awesome calls

Coop1082

Emailed Al today and he put me on purpleheart/butternut for the sound I described. Probably just going to get two with the other being kwila/butternut since I'll probably end up with it in the long run anyways!  :toothy9:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

letinmfly

Quote from: Coop1082 on May 15, 2017, 08:42:50 PM
Spoke to Al today and he put me on purpleheart/butternut for the sound I described. Probably just going to get two with the other being kwila/butternut since I'll probably end up with it in the long run anyways!  :toothy9:

Good choices!! 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

TauntoHawk

I've had or have 4 combos from Al for short boxes.. purpleheart/butternut, kwila/limba, paduak/mineral poplar, yellowheart/mineral poplar and yes all spit feathers.  The purpleheart/butternut is a very classic sound you won't be disappointed.

The yellowheart combo is my favorite though it's screams and cutts like no other

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KentuckyHeadhunter

The butternut and kwila from them is a magical combo.  Better than most high end boxes.  I've noticed that Al is good at choosing quality wood for his calls and similar combos from other makers still don't compare.  The fit, finish, and sound is all turkey. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

lunghit

I have always used inexpensive box calls but I am now looking into one of these calls. What are the differences between a deluxe box call and a long box call? Why would you pick one over the other? Thanks
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

BigNiv

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on May 15, 2017, 09:58:17 PM
The butternut and kwila from them is a magical combo.  Better than most high end boxes.  I've noticed that Al is good at choosing quality wood for his calls and similar combos from other makers still don't compare.  The fit, finish, and sound is all turkey.

I also have the kwila and butternut and it is amazing

idratherb

anything from these boys will be great, honestly dont over think it.

nyhunter

:icon_thumright: you'll love the purpleheart/butternut thats the first call i bought from S.S . 

Deluxe box and Field grade in the same wood will sound the same, the Deluxe has the checkering and takes more time and craftsmanship to make. I have both type, if I was gonna only have 1 box call..... :TooFunny:.... it would be the Deluxe . 

The Woodsman

Quote from: idratherb on May 16, 2017, 11:12:45 AM
anything from these boys will be great, honestly dont over think it.

What Mr. Jackson says.......

:jackson:

mgm1955

Quote from: letinmfly on May 14, 2017, 10:22:31 PM
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: