turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wet conditions call?

Started by sixbird, May 13, 2017, 07:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

I'm one of those people who can't stay out of the turkey woods, even when it's raining. I have a Primos Wetbox that I use when it's nasty out but, the sound, while not being bad, doesn't measure up to my customs.
Anybody have any favs. in customs that run well in wet weather?
I know the most obvious answer is a mouth call, and I use them. What I'm looking for is some sort of friction call that runs wet...
Any ideas?

milertyme03

I have heard Quaker boy has some decent ones although I don't run any, I like old school chalked wood

Chris O

I have an old M.A.D. Slate call that works good with a synthetic plastic striker. I can also get descent sounds out of a hollow carbon striker . I haven't found a wood striker that works when wet.I don't think these strikers sound as good as wood on a dry call,but you don't hear as well in the rain either.

MikeStaten

Enticer makes great pot calls for wet weather.  His wet one glass over glass sounds great as does his extreme aluminum. Both will run well when soaked with water.  The extreme aluminum may be slightly more versatile as you can play soft stuff on the back of the corian pot.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,74517.0.html

sbbow

Mike Yingling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beakbuster10

Dawkins stoned aluminum over slate in his plastic pot with a Yingling carbon fiber striker. Not only is this my favorite wet call, it's my favorite meat call period.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: beakbuster10 on May 14, 2017, 05:06:02 PM

Dawkins stoned aluminum over slate in his plastic pot with a Yingling carbon fiber striker. Not only is this my favorite wet call, it's my favorite meat call period.

That's my wet weather combo to

beakbuster10

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on May 14, 2017, 06:06:57 PM
Quote from: beakbuster10 on May 14, 2017, 05:06:02 PM

That's my wet weather combo to

It's hard to beat!

sixbird

Thanks gents...I'll check them out...

West Augusta

I bought 2 glass over slate calls in a Trex pot from the friend of a friend Joe Vance out of southern West Virginia.
When run with a carbon fiber striker you can and I did run them in a down pour.  They sounded great.  I'll post some pix tomorrow.

I also love trumpets in the rain.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

HFultzjr

Mike Yingling's Fiber Striker, as well as Enticer's waterproof, will run in a down pour on most any pot call.

sixbird

Thanks again gents...Sounds like Yingling is the striker to have for sure. I have a stabilized ceramic that may work. Hadn't thought of it until now...I'll look into the Dawkins and the others suggested...

mgm1955

KentuckyHeadhunter

I have one of those Yingling carbon strikers and a Dawkins stoned aluminum in the plastic pot.  Haven't tried this combo yet but I will shortly.  My question for you guys is does this carbon striker mess up the aluminum in any way?  Can you put a wood striker on it the same area where you just ran that carbon?  The carbon striker seems harsh on some surfaces and that's why it's been collecting dust. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

KentuckyHeadhunter

And maybe it's the glare but yours looks like you shot it with a .22 mag.   ;D
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion