OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Here + pics

Started by POk3s, May 13, 2017, 11:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POk3s

Hi guys, stumbled across this forum a time or two looking for turkey hunting knowledge. My name is Trent and I live in Wyoming. I've become quite the turkey addict lately, but been a hunting addict for all my life :) . Since the season was winding down, or over for the most part, I figured it was time to join in on the "off season" talk if there is much. I'm constantly looking for more hunting opportunity in different states. Challenging public land hunts is what I like best :)

Here are some pics from this year. Montana public land. I was blessed with the Tom as soon as I started my hunt in mid afternoon and pulled into the first block of public land. Spot and Stalk variety. I bought another tag the next day and was more focused on getting a couple of my buddies a bird. They pulled out a day early and the last morning of my hunt (was going to hunt until 10 or 11 AM at the latest before I had to make the long drive home) I was able to fold a jake. Called him right off the roost and I bet he gobbled over 50 times on the limb and 5 or 6 times on the ground as he came charging in. I was sure another hunter was going to show up but no one ever did.

http://imgur.com/6DtVjim

http://imgur.com/TqCgDZc

Next on the list was my in state Wyoming Black Hills hunt. I pay a trespass fee for this hunt and usually have 4 or 5 others with me in camp. It's a lot easier this way for a fun, enjoyable hunt, with high success rates. I was done the first afternoon we arrived in camp.

http://imgur.com/XJIziBD

Last was a Utah, public land Rio. I hunted this area for the first time last year and must have really got lucky. The birds were on fire and I screwed up 3 times before connecting on the second day. This year was TOUGH. I didn't hear a gobble or see so much as a hen for the first two days of my hunt. On the third morning I went for a long walk without much of a plan besides trying to strike one up in the pre-dawn or early morning hours. After saying to myself "well I guess I'll head back to the truck and try another spot" I took about four steps and heard my first gobble of the trip. He didn't gobble much, but I was able to slowly close in on him for the next hour and a half. He finally sealed his fate when he gobbled about 200 yards from me while I sat under a tree hoping for "one more gobble". I snuck to where I heard him and was greeted with three jakes chasing eachother in a circle at about 20 yards. I snuck to 15 yards to clear myself from some cover and that was the end. This one happened to have a full fan (minus the missing feathers) so he's the one that received the 5 shot :) . 2017 turkey season is in the books!

http://imgur.com/TVKjbm4

larry9988

Love those white tipped fans. Congratulations and welcome. The diehards on OG are the ones hanging around during the off season. If you are still on here in August, you are a 365 day turkey man.

POk3s

Thanks Larry. I'm sure I'll be around! I used to be a forum fanatic before everything became facebook oriented. I miss it!

All my birds this year were jakes or 2 year olds but lots of fun! That pearly white tipped Montana jake was going to be somebody one day! Great fan, and the thickest beard of any bird I've ever shot....but obviously only about 4" long. :)

wvspitndrum

Welcome from West Virginia , congrats , great pics !!

SteelerFan

1. Welcome
2. Congrats on a great season
3. AWESOME PICS!

TRG3

Good photos! Beautiful country. Sounds like you had a good time and were persistent.

guesswho

Welcome.  Enjoyed the pictures.  Good job and congrats!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

POk3s

Thank you guys! It was a fun season!

Cottonmouth

Welcome to OG. Alot of good info here and a good group of turkey addicts.

tha bugman

POk3s

birddogdoc

Welcome!  This is a good place to hang out. 

grayfox

Beautiful birds & landscape too. Lots of addicts on this forum so you should feel right at home. Welcome aboard.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Wrangler95

Very nice going,congrats!! :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!