turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chokes for Longbeard XR #6 in 3.5"

Started by Tidewater Tom, May 13, 2017, 08:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tidewater Tom

I have a Mossberg 835, Benelli Super Vinci, and I'm getting my son a Winchester SX4 soon.  I like the pattern I get out of the Kicks GT .665 when shooting 3.5" Longbeard XR #6s out of the Benelli.  I think I'm gonna stick with that shell for price and performance but I plan on doing some patterning soon with multiple chokes.  What are some other chokes I should look at for these shells?  What choke patterns best with these shells in your guns? 
Educated beyond my intelligence...

Chuck1443

I had sum toy make one for my versamax... can't remember the numbers but was impressed, even pattern, high percentage in the 20"ring at 40yds (almost too tight) Killed two birds that year with it

Ihuntoldschool

Just use a turkey choke.  The shell is 100 x more important than choke "design", "internal geometry" or "length of parallel section".   These buzzwords are great for selling chokes but have little bearing on performance.  Shell choice and constriction are what matters.  I would stick with that Kicks 665 if it works for you. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

owlhoot

Just take some time and go through the pattern picture threads on here .
Lots of info on different guns and chokes.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Tidewater Tom on May 13, 2017, 08:06:56 AM
I have a Mossberg 835, Benelli Super Vinci, and I'm getting my son a Winchester SX4 soon.  I like the pattern I get out of the Kicks GT .665 when shooting 3.5" Longbeard XR #6s out of the Benelli.  I think I'm gonna stick with that shell for price and performance but I plan on doing some patterning soon with multiple chokes.  What are some other chokes I should look at for these shells?  What choke patterns best with these shells in your guns?
There are several chokes that work quite well with the guns you've mentioned and those shells. Since you like the patterns with the Benelli and the Kicks choke, it seems very appropriate to stay with that combination. That leaves the 835 and the SX4.

The chokes that I've seen pattern exceptionally well with the 835 are the Hevi-13 Turkey choke, the SSX and the Carlson's. They have different designs and exit diameters but they all work well.

The chokes that I've seen work well with the SX3, same bore as the SX4, are the JEB'S .650 (with the #6 shot), and the Strangler.

I would "deep clean" the bores of both of those guns prior to patterning https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel That process really helps to you see exactly how your gun patterns with a squeaky clean bore and it if you'll shoot it without cleaning between shots after that, you'll be able to see if your gun likes to be a little fouled as well.

Whatever chokes you choose, you have some fun ahead of you and I wish you all the best.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SumToy

That shell does good in a few chokes.  It all in what you looking for.  A hot 10 inch or a more open pattern.  With the lead I like little more shot in the 10 just because it is lead. 

Now the 835 look for some thing 675 to 680
The Benelli will like anything 650 to 665
The SX 4 will like something 670 to 680

:anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Tidewater Tom

Quote from: owlhoot on May 14, 2017, 08:36:15 AM
Just take some time and go through the pattern picture threads on here .
Lots of info on different guns and chokes.
Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 14, 2017, 09:05:19 AM
There are several chokes that work quite well with the guns you've mentioned and those shells. Since you like the patterns with the Benelli and the Kicks choke, it seems very appropriate to stay with that combination. That leaves the 835 and the SX4.

The chokes that I've seen pattern exceptionally well with the 835 are the Hevi-13 Turkey choke, the SSX and the Carlson's. They have different designs and exit diameters but they all work well.

The chokes that I've seen work well with the SX3, same bore as the SX4, are the JEB'S .650 (with the #6 shot), and the Strangler.

I would "deep clean" the bores of both of those guns prior to patterning https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98772615-deep-cleaning-a-shotgun-barrel That process really helps to you see exactly how your gun patterns with a squeaky clean bore and it if you'll shoot it without cleaning between shots after that, you'll be able to see if your gun likes to be a little fouled as well.

Whatever chokes you choose, you have some fun ahead of you and I
Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 14, 2017, 09:05:19 AM

Whatever chokes you choose, you have some fun ahead of you and I wish you all the best.

Thanks,
Clark
Quote from: SumToy on May 14, 2017, 11:16:13 AM

That shell does good in a few chokes.  It all in what you looking for.  A hot 10 inch or a more open pattern.  With the lead I like little more shot in the 10 just because it is lead. 

Now the 835 look for some thing 675 to 680
The Benelli will like anything 650 to 665
The SX 4 will like something 670 to 680

:anim_25:

Thanks!  Shooting and trying different combos is fun!  The Longbeard just isn't as expensive to do it with as with tungsten shot.  I killed my turkey this year with a lonbeard and a standard Benelli Crio full choke.  So I imagine this combo will be better.  Don't have the SX4 yet.  I'm gonna set up the Benelli and the Winchester with red dots before I start building the 835. 
Educated beyond my intelligence...