OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

what are your "keys" to turkey hunting???

Started by adkmountainken, May 09, 2017, 07:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

I have lots to learn in many of these areas.  I am real confident in my ability to find where turkeys want to be, but not so great in figuring out how to set up so they want to finish.  I think my recent success shows I am better and then I lose a bird because he won't come that last little bit.  Sometimes it is a turkey being a turkey, but it has happened to me often enough, I know it is a short coming I have. 

As to calling, it is probably only 10% of the equation - unless it is done wrong!  Then it becomes much higher.  I have definitely learned from this site that less is more.  The last 4 birds I have killed I probably only called to less than 5 times each.  I wish I had more time to hunt other states to extend my season, but I already do enough traveling for hunting and fishing.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Txag12

I have a lot to learn and find my shortcomings to be figuring out how the birds utilize the land where I hunt. I have no problem locating the birds and knowing the general areas they hang out, but I'm still learning a lot about how they navigate and utilize the different habitat on those areas. I would say 30% is locating birds, 30% how they use the land and knowing how to respond to their moves, 30% not giving up or taking defeat, and 10% calling

mtns2hunt

I dont put percentages on Turkey hunting because there are to many variables. Currently, I am hunting a very old and experienced bird. He has beaten me several times this season: some my fault. Some him just being a turkey. I could have killed him twice when flying as he came to my trolling calls. Where I walk a woodline and call. Once I was moving into a spot to set up and he was right on me and took off flying. Another he slept in and and I bumped him but had a flying shot agian. No glory in  those type of kills.

Persistance is what I beleive it takes, plus a decent setup and loads of patience. If I kill him it will be on our terms. If I don't kill him we will play again in the fall. On calls: alot of people don't realize just how good a turkey can hear. Just a few notes is all it normally takes and not long contest calling. Just my 2 cents.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Bowguy

I think scouting should be least even w woodsman ship. Can't kill em if they aren't there

fallhnt

At home,most of the time, I'm under 50 yards from roosted turkeys so woodcraft is tops. Calling is a close second. Out west I might be 1/4 mile or so out of the game so calling is tops. All my hunting takes place on public land and 99% of the time I'm bow hunting. I Fall hunt with a gun because my .410 adds a new challenge to keep me motivated. I would say that hunting Spring and Fall has done more to speed up my self taught turkey hunting learning curve the most. Reading books by Lovett Williams is how I got my understanding of turkey behavior. The only reason I don't even rate scouting is because I've learned that turkeys use the same areas I hunt year after year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

C.Kimzey95

You definitely have to be around birds to be successful. But taking that out of the equation there's a lot of variables. Knowing the land your hunting can be especially beneficial to your success. However it seems as though a lot of my success has usually been determined by that split second decision when you strike a bird or see one or whatever. Where do you sit, do you move 50 yards closer, do you stick a decoy out, do I call, do I not, etc. I can think of a lot of turkeys that I'm pretty sure I would've killed if I would've just done something small like that. And usually hindsight is 20/20 and I know exactly what I should've done. However the more springs you put under your belt and the more you hunt, the more you are able to pick up on these things and use them in future hunts. I haven't been hunting very long at all compared to 95% of the guys on here but it seems like this is the case to me. If there was just a "key" to turkey hunting I don't think it'd be as fun as it is. Experience typically trumps all.

perrytrails

Quote from: idratherb on May 09, 2017, 05:26:51 PM
This is pretty simple 2 things, 1.) the time to do it consistantely and 2.) good land access

you dont need $300 calls or 200 different strikers thats for sure, most of the time a $6.95 mouth call will get it done all the time. Dont over think it
Bingo!!

WiLL B

Time in the woods with a shotgun trumps all

Turkey1986

I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. - Col. Tom Kelly

Gooserbat

Time, I'm blessed to have a job that allows me for the most part to pick my days off so I'm able to hunt the "best weather and weekdays with less competition.  After that it's paitence and 30+ years of experience. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bbcoach

2 things, SETUP (being where the birds want to be, which includes woodsmanship and scouting) and PATIENCE. 

hunter-b

JMalin

Confidence/patience (when the birds aren't talking, but you know they are around).  That ties in with scouting/woodsmanship.  You can kill turkey if you know their habits/where to setup without calling at all.  Ambushing them isn't all that fun though.  Physical fitness/desire to hike that extra mile/steep ridge to hunt that hard to get at bird if hunting public land.

High plains drifter

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 09, 2017, 02:06:42 PM
My keys:
Knowing how to find birds to hunt:  Effective use of maps to pre-scout hunt areas;  Use of effective locator tactics; (probably 25%)
Woodsmanship:  Learning the birds you are hunting and using the right approach to any given hunt scenario;  knowing how to assess what a bird is doing and how/where to set up on him;  (probably 25%)
Calling:  contest-level calling ability is not nearly as important as knowing when and what to say to the turkeys; learning basic calling principles and learning how to assess a gobbler's responsiveness to different calling tactics; (probably 25%)
Persistence and perseverance:  Dedicating enough time to turkey hunting is required to be consistently successful and not giving up when things are not going well;  staying after them and sticking with it;  (probably 25%). I agree, you have to put the time in, and get out there in the dark, and don't use a light.Scout the land in the middle of the day, so you don't spook birds. Scout, and pattern the birds. Know where the water is. They like springs, and swampy areas.They don't like wind, so look for the deep cuts.Im going out in the morning with my bow, I shot a real nice gobbler with my 20, a week ago, and the only reason I got him was, I knew the land really well, from scouting.

dutch@fx4

To me it is about finding birds and finding out were thy want to be. ..if you get this down pay you will kill birds