turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Recommend a Maccasar Ebony Striker

Started by Coop1082, May 08, 2017, 09:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

Recently received a Poplar Brad Roberts Poplar bronzed glass over aluminum. Had a suggestion of maccasar ebony for the striker as well as granadillo. I talked to Brad today and he will have some grandaillo strikers turned soon that I will jump on, but for the time being I'm in the market for the maccasar just because I've seen a lot of folks reccomended it for their glass/crystal call and they are my favorite surface. What do you guys like as far as call makers? Right now I'm looking hard at Stuckey's because it seems to be his bread and butter but I'm open for all suggestions!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

merriamsman

You can't go wrong with a Derrick Stuckey striker - l have several, including a macassar ebony, and they are my favorite strikers.

Coop1082

Looks like I need to pull the trigger! What dymondwood do you like from him merriamasman? I saw he offers a camo, emeraldwood, bubblegum, and santos zebra? Just curious as to if they offer a different sound individually or if "dymondwood is dymondwood" and they sound the same.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Wvgobbler

Bill Lyman makes an excellent ebony striker. Cox and Derrick make a good one also. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Txag12

Have one from derrick sticker that I am happy with! I assume you're looking for one to pair with that new Roberts you picked up, I think you'll be happy mine sounds great on my Roberts black walnut glass/alum

Spitten and drummen

Derrick stuckey , fred cox and bill lyman gets my vote.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

merriamsman

Quote from: Coop1082 on May 08, 2017, 09:35:14 PM
Looks like I need to pull the trigger! What dymondwood do you like from him merriamasman? I saw he offers a camo, emeraldwood, bubblegum, and santos zebra? Just curious as to if they offer a different sound individually or if "dymondwood is dymondwood" and they sound the same.

I have a camo green diamondwood, tulipwood, purple heart, and macassar ebony - I like them all, but my favorite is the diamondwood.

I also just got a Brad Roberts bronzed glass over aluminum in blue mahoe pot - that is one fantastic call.

model94

I  like Harold Fowlers Maccasar Ebony one piece striker.

sbbow

I have a Fowler an Cox both. Cannt go wrong wth either imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doublespurs21

just asking,, why would one striker, made of the same wood. but made from different callmakers sound different on the same pot call??? if they are made within the same length and weight...

crenshawco

Stuckey no doubt. It will run anything

jed clampett

Brads Mac ebony sounds great on his glass/aluminum pots!!

jed clampett

Quote from: doublespurs21 on June 18, 2017, 03:40:26 PM
just asking,, why would one striker, made of the same wood. but made from different callmakers sound different on the same pot call??? if they are made within the same length and weight...
......i have a Lyman Mac ebony...brad Roberts Mac ebony and stuckey Mac ebony...and they all sound different to me

vt35mag

Quote from: jed clampett on June 18, 2017, 05:41:40 PM
Quote from: doublespurs21 on June 18, 2017, 03:40:26 PM
......i have a Lyman Mac ebony...brad Roberts Mac ebony and stuckey Mac ebony...and they all sound different to me

X2

Only with my experience you substitute Hallorans for Lymans.

Coop1082

For what it's worth this is an old thread but I ended up going with a Stuckey Mac Ebony and like it a lot. I like a heavy striker and Stuckey's fit the mold not to mention his Mac Ebony is a runner on just about anything I've used it on, especially on glass/crystal.
CRUSADERS

[/img]