OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NOT a turkey...

Started by SteelerFan, May 08, 2017, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

This past Sunday (5/7) hunt was uneventful. Not a single gobble on the roost (blame cold, damp weather - 'cause that's just what we do).

Anyway, set up in an area known to hold birds. Blind calling every 30 minutes or so. Around 11:00, I hear "walking" behind me. Faint, but definitely something moving. I'm thinking maybe, just maybe, it's an old long beard sneaking in for a look.

I hear it again, closer. Trying my best to send my eyeballs around the left side of my head and turn without moving... I look and see black 12 - 15 yds away. Problem was... it was fur and not feathers!

https://youtu.be/Gt_bVOkorwQ

https://youtu.be/i08WkGHiAYA

Turns out, it's a bear out for a stroll. Looked to be a boar, maybe 200 - 250 lbs?  Pretty cool.

Brs2427

That's so cool! I have never gotten to see a bear out hunting, I am sure it's a thrill

TauntoHawk

Bears are one of my favorite animal just to watch.. super neat creatures for sure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Swenny

No bears around here, but I'm pretty sure I've been close to a mountain lion screaming.  Just about made me scream too.

tha bugman

That would be cool and scary at the same time to this swamp rabbit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jed clampett

Actually I think that would be awesome...around me it's either deer...coyotes or coons!!

WyoHunter

Quote from: jed clampett on May 09, 2017, 08:21:08 AM
Actually I think that would be awesome...around me it's either deer...coyotes or coons!!
Same here!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Greg Massey

I think it would of scared a gobble out of me....lol....

Jobbler123

That surely will give me a huge surprise!

vt35mag

Awesome, bear sightings while turkey hunting are getting to be relatively common around here.

Ozarks Hillbilly

We are starting to get a large number of black bears in southern Missouri. The area I live and hunt in has one of the highest concentrations. Last year a buddy and I where hunting together. We where workinga pair of birds that where rooted together. They ended up skirting around us. It was in a area that was being logged and figured out there wasn't any way they could come though all the tree tops that laid between us and them. There was a bird that was roosted behind us a good ways away had cover a bunch of ground.  We got turned around and set up. We were on a little high spot looking down the skidder trail. I no more than get situated a and my buddy says we got busted. Said he saw the bird run off the skidder trail and out into the woods about 100 yards away. We get up and have a little Q&A session on what had happened and what we wanted to do next. We decided to ease on down the skidder trail a ways thinking we might fire up the birds that skirted us off the roost. We hadn't gone far with buddy in the lead. He had made it to where he can see around the bend in the trail and he comes to a stop and gives me the hit the deck signal. He whispered turkey strutting up the road! I said when he gets up here shoot him. Well the turkey strutting up the road turned out to be a cinnamon colored sow with her cubs one was cinnamon like her and other was just as blonde as could be. They came up the trail to about 35 40 yards and wondered off into the timber. First ones I had seen out in the wild pretty cool.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: tha bugman on May 09, 2017, 08:16:31 AM
That would be cool and scary at the same time to this swamp rabbit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather have our bears than your snakes

I've only ever had one side ways encounter with a bear and that was in Canada backpacking, he had figured out how to pull up the bear rope to get to our food in the tree and we had different ideas about when and how he should leave. I will telling you the teeth popping of a 300lb bear in the dark is not a pleasant sound  :character0029:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ncwoodsman

Very cool footage. We see black bears here in NC from time to time in the woods. I enjoy watching them, but I always get a little nervous when it's a mama bear with cubs. For the most part they are generally harmless, but I certainly don't provoke them and my finger is typically close to the trigger.

Happy

Saw these about one week ago. It's not unusual around here

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.