OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Smack that bird right in his snoodle noodle

Started by TauntoHawk, May 08, 2017, 04:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Last week I missed a bird on public land here in PA (details in my hunt log thread), its a long hike in the walk out feels even longer thinking about a blown opportunity.

I hate misses, especially on turkeys.. It doesn't happen often but when I do it just bothers me to my core, probably my ego I doesn't enjoy the hit. On the drive home I called my wife and told her all the "I should have done this scenarios". I finished by saying and you know when you miss you don't get that opportunity back, I'll probably have to eat that tag.

My wife reminded me of the last time I missed as we were hunting together... I had just worked a bird up enough to get him to fly a creek on some NY DEP ground and was watching over a steep bank for the bird to show up below me at 20yds when he appeared over the bank at 3 steps. We saw each other in the same moment and he won that dual. I muttered about that for a few days talking about how that bird had a huge rope swinging when he flew off. The next weekend I went back and shot that bird at 8yds and he sported my longest beard of 11.25in

I'm sure I had a yeahhh but but something... And she hit me with a "I'll take the kids to daycare Monday you go and smack that smug bird right in his snoodle noodle"

I love having a wife that not only turkey hunts with me but full appreciates a good snood joke. The Snoodle noodle line ended up being a popular tag at this past weekends Vet Hunt

And Smack that bird I did, up 35min earlier leave nothing to chance I wanted in early. I also opted to upgrade fire power and show the 12ga some love leaving the 20 at home. It was down right cold being 36 and breezy but I made the hike in and was positioned inside a 100yds from the anticipated roost zone moments before first gobble. He was the first and most frequent talker this morning out of the 4 or 5 I heard. I eased into maybe 70yds and set up. He had all hens with him today so I didn't call to him much although i did have to wave a coyote off. At fly down the hens all pitched out over the ridge top out of sight so by about the 4th one I got on him to put in his mind that a hen was right here. gobbled and flew down banking toward me as he flew to my yelping. He landed in Gun range spit and immediately flicked his head pure white and began searching with his eyes. I let him ease a few yards closer before I hammered with a load of hevi's.

Who really know's if this was the same bird or not but once again I was rewarded with an upgrade to my longest beard with 11 5/8th in, he came in at 22lbs 10oz and some lopsided spurs with 1 1/8th sharp on one side and meager 11/16th runt on the other. Which I explained to my buddies was because he kept it wore down from throwing so many "right hooks". For South East PA where birds can be tough to just find to kill him on public made me even more proud as this roosting area was the result of miles and miles of scouting. The area continues to show tons of promise too as last spring they did a controlled burn on some of the SGL timber where I saw a lot of activity over this past winter.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats  :icon_thumright: it feels extra special when it all comes together and all of your hard work pays off.

SinGin

Greg Massey

Bowhunter123224

SteelerFan

Improvinghunter101

Congratulations!  It's nice when it all comes together every now and again.

Gold Spur

Congrats, way to hang in there and make it happen. :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Cottonmouth

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

DUCKDIGGLER

Nice! The ones you "earn" are all trophies!  :OGturkeyhead:

TauntoHawk

Updated: pics didn't load the first time around

Thanks guys, if he had better spurs I'd really consider mounting him since my wife wants a mount on the wall

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

WiLL B

tha bugman

Redemption at its finest!  A good woman is a treasure indeed.  I was down one time about something and my wife says "Don't worry as soon as you kill a turkey you will feel better!"  Such wisdom and a great cook to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk