OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Missouri Turkeys Won

Started by HookedonHooks, May 07, 2017, 11:53:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HookedonHooks

Hunted them hard in Missouri and didn't have anything to show for it. Had an excellent hunt this morning, the last morning of season. If I would've stayed put for another 15 minutes I would've killed a bird I'm sure of it. I went to make one final adjustment before I had to leave and there was the bird, coming in quiet once I knew he was on the way. I took a poke at him probably 65ish yards, because ya can't kill em if you don't try.  I watched him run to the next county, and will schedule a rematch for next season.

stinkpickle

That sucks!  Finish what you're doing and get back out there.  You have two hours left!

Ozarks Hillbilly

Only if he doesn't die of ganggrene from some of the pellets that did hit him from that distance :z-twocents:

Ihuntoldschool

LOL  Can't kill em if you don't try so let's just take a poke at him at 65 isssssssssssh.  Thats the spirit

owlhoot

Ya , way to go young man you sure showed him.
65 yards away, come on now  ???

appalachianassassin

65 yds huh. shame on you buddy.  >:(

TRG3

I just read a post noting that if we'd have just stayed another 15 minutes, what a difference it would have made in our success rate! I know that I've given up when just a few more minutes would have put game in my pouch. Oh well...that's why they call it "hunting".

turkey harvester

It was freakin tough in the southern part of Mo with all the flooding. Took me 3 weeks but managed to finally put one in the ground this morning. Besides my wife's bird opening morning, this is only bird I could really get to play the game.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: turkey harvester on May 07, 2017, 04:33:26 PM
It was freakin tough in the southern part of Mo with all the flooding. Took me 3 weeks but managed to finally put one in the ground this morning. Besides my wife's bird opening morning, this is only bird I could really get to play the game.

Congrats to you Sir  :icon_thumright:
Odd season in South Central Missouri for sure. I hope that with the 15+ inches of rain last weekend that the majority of the hens will attempt to raise another brood. 

Rzrbac

Yes, Southeast Missouri was a tough one. Least amount of gobbling I've ever heard and that's counting listening before season as well.  Heard 2 this morning.  One would have taken a boat to and he only gobbled 5 times on the limb. The other one gobbled twice on the limb. Finally found him and got him to gobble two more times on the ground.  He was just about on private and probably ended up there.

A lot of my spots still have a ton of water. Late morning I drove to an old spot I've killed a few birds and a guy had his beagles out running deer. I think they were the same dogs that ran in on the one gobbler I got to work this week. 

I just can't sit and call and wait for birds to come in quiet, I don't enjoy that style of hunting.  I got to be walking and looking for a bird that wants to talk.  Other than the first week (opening day) those birds just seemed non existent. From most hunters I've talked to they ran into the same thing. I can't complain too much though, I got to go quite a bit and got to tag one opening day.  Even if it was a rough year, I'm still thankful.

tha bugman

Well momma said it would be that way sometimes...I am sure you had a great experience and made some memories regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Quote from: owlhoot on May 07, 2017, 02:25:24 PM

Showed his buddy a few years ago at 58 yards. Knocked him flat. I didn't expect to kill that turkey either.

Prohunter3509

Spent a week there this year myself  we did ok made some fond memories I know that and had some great hunts.

Neill_Prater

I managed to tag out here in MO on Friday of the second week with a rainy day bird that I located gobbling at the thunder. Otherwise, I would have never gotten out of the Jeep! I just checked the telecheck numbers, 39,215 birds tagged during the regular season.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 07, 2017, 10:27:41 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on May 07, 2017, 02:25:24 PM

Showed his buddy a few years ago at 58 yards. Knocked him flat. I didn't expect to kill that turkey either.
If a person doesn't expect to cleanly kill a turkey when they shoot that should be a key indicator not to shoot. It's not worth crippling one. I hope your season goes better next year.  The challenge is what makes the sport so great and has kept me interested all of these years!!