OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tough opening week in NY

Started by turkaholic, May 07, 2017, 07:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

Quote from: lunghit on May 10, 2017, 08:58:13 PM
Filled my second tag yesterday morning with a nice bird. Got to watch him and another big bird for over an hour following a hen in a field. She finally led him towards my decoys and he broke off for a closer look at my DSD jake decoy. 10" beard with 1" spurs.

Good job. Very very quiet by me. Finally heard my first gobble after 4 fays. Worked a bird pretty good today. Seen him on tip of hen at 80 yds. Would not leave her side. Left him un spooked at noon. See if u can find him tomorrow. 

lunghit

Good luck Mike and keep us posted here. This was by far the best season I ever had. Birds were everywhere and gobbling like crazy.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

BABS9

Quote from: culpeper on May 08, 2017, 01:57:39 PM
Babs9, I live in Niagara Co, but cant find anywhere to hunt in the county so I hunt Chautaqua and Genesee Co's, yeah, the weather has been remarkable, sat in the rain and wet snow yesterday and my success was getting soaked and chilled to the bone.  Gobbling has been almost non-existent,

turkaholic:  Cobleskill huh,  I know of 9 long beards who took a dirtnap's over the past 4 days in that area....seems to be A LOT of birds and plenty of gobbling, you are fortunate.  It has been a good area in the state for some time now.

mspaci - where bouts you been hunting?
I hear ya. All of my hunting is done on private land. Just find some spots that you think may hold turkey and just ask. Most say no but should get a few to say yes

quavers59

I am also having a tough time in my home state of New York. Been out 15 times so far this Spring with 4 of those days in New Jersey. Public Land is very tough--but hopefully this weekend I will tag a gobbler. In a bad  turkey hunting slump here.

mspaci

Culpepper, I am in Dutchess County

mikejd

Quote from: lunghit on May 11, 2017, 04:44:14 AM
Good luck Mike and keep us posted here. This was by far the best season I ever had. Birds were everywhere and gobbling like crazy.

Thanks..still at it and working our tails off. Birds are just not gobbling at all. Even driving around all the Tom's are together and all the hens are together. Very strange. Right now there has been 5 of us covering miles of ground and no birds to show. We are still at it so I hope the weather holds up.