OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

#3 in TN talked my ears off!

Started by C.Kimzey95, May 06, 2017, 02:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.Kimzey95

This morning started with me running late as usual. Stepped out of the truck at 5:35 and one gobbled across the road from where I had planned on hunting. No big deal because the farm I'm hunting has land on both sides of the road. So I grab my stuff and trek across the road. I had a decent idea of where this bird was roosted at but by the time I got close everything had gone quiet. I decided to sit and wait in a spot for a little while and around 7 o clock 2 or 3 birds start gobbling. One in front, one behind me, and one to my left. All are a good ways off. So I stand up and gather my stuff and begin to listen to try and pick which one to go after. The gobbling didn't last long and for whatever reason they all shut up. I moved about 100 yards and set up again planning to sit and wait a while longer. I saw a coyote but he was out of range to even shoot at. Around 9 I decided to get up and head to the top of a huge hill. They have recently put up some sort of tower and there has been a track hoe and a little bull dozer right beside it..I sat on the tracks of the little track hoe with intention to listen. Hadn't been there 10 minutes when I saw a lone gobbler out around 300 yards headed away from me. He went around a corner and out of sight and I begin to cut and yelp pretty aggressively and he immediately cut me off. I stayed on him hard for 5 minutes or so with him gobbling at my every yelp before he popped back around the corner. Out of the corner of my eye another coyote appeared between me and the gobbler. He hung around for what felt like forever but was probably only a minute with the bird 300 yards away gobbling his head off. When he finally wondered off I yelped and cut hard a few more times with my head turned in the opposite direction and decided to shut up. This ole turkey gobbled and gobbled and gobbled for about 10 minutes popping in and out of strut. And then he broke and started my way. He hit a big dip in the field and I as hurriedly as possible put out a jake and a hen decoy. I had nowhere good to set up so I thought I'll just lay down behind this track hoe. I laid my hen down like a breeder and she fell over on her side and I knew I didn't have time to go out there and put her back up right. I could see him again on a b line stopping to strut every few minutes. He took his time coming and finally got about 50 yards out. He was really taking his time now and luckily the grass was just high enough I don't think he could tell the hen decoy was messed up. He got to 33 yards and stuck his head up just a littttttle too high. He was another big bodied bird at 22.5 lbs and he had a 10.5" beard with 1 1/8" spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

shedhunta

Greg Massey

Poleaxe

Congrats. Way to stay after them.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

culpeper

tha bugman

Great story great bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!