turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler with no spurs

Started by larry9988, May 04, 2017, 10:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry9988

Yesterday my 15 year old son called in and killed his second solo bird of the season. He decided he new enough to hunt by himself this year. The bird he killed was double bearded. It had a good thick 10 1/2" and small 7" beard. It weighed 19 1/2 pounds, full fan and absolutely no spurs on either leg. How many of you have ever killed or seen a gobbler with no spurs. I have been fortunate enough to kill quite a few birds over the years. I have been around a lot of turkeys in the past as I have mounted turkey fans for the public but this is the first spurless gobbler I have ever seen. What about y'all?

Rzrbac

I've killed a few.  I've also seen a few killed by others in the same area and they were also slick legged.  I'm guessing it's just genetics as you could clearly see they didn't even have a bump. All were mature birds.

WiLL B

I've killed a couple with no spurs. A couple more slick on one leg, spur on the other. It's rare

JMalin

Killed one this season with only 1 spur.  There was a tiny little black bump where the other spur should have been.

hobbes

Adult Merriam's from last week:

AndyH

I killed a Osceola last spring with no spurs

dublelung

I've killed a couple with slick legs and my son killed one with 2 small bumps that looked like ant bites.

Uncle Nicky

I killed a mature gobbler 3 or 4 years ago that didn't have any spurs.

guesswho

Have killed a handful with no or just one spur.   Not real common around here, which is a good thing.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WV TURKEY THUG

I killed one in the fall that had no beard or spurs.

stinkpickle

My brother in law and I shot two on adjoining farms within an hour of each other.  Neither bird had spurs.

tha bugman

Killed a couple with no spurs and one that I can remember that only had a single the other leg was slick as a mink.

tomfooleryy

This seems to be fairly common, I called one in for a friend this year that had no spurs.

Tail Feathers

I've never seen one but I had a video of one strutting 3' from my pickup a few years ago.  He wasn't afraid of me or my truck.  He actually left hens to chase me down the road.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!