OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

create your own vest

Started by tha bugman, May 04, 2017, 03:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

If you could create your own vest or improve on the one you have what would it be?  I absolutely do not want a vertical or horizontal box call holder on the front, mine needs to be towards the back and out of the way.  I would want the self reclining seat, but the bottom would not fold back under inside (if the ground is wet then your back is going to be as well...pot call and striker holders need to be accessible w/o zippers or snaps...only old fashion sew on buttons

wisconsinteacher

I would have a spot for a box call and a long box.  Not saying I would always carry both but it would be nice to have the option to have both. 

Greg Massey

I would just like to have someone carry my bag or vest....

g8rvet

Great question.   When you buy Drake waterfowl clothing, you know it is designed by duck hunters.

One feature I would add, and I am not kidding, is a flame/heat resistant pocket on the outside of the vest to carry a Thermacell-interior lined with heat resistance, exterior lined with flame proof mesh so it can be carried around lit.  A thermacell and a turkey vest in Florida goes together like taters and gravy.

I want zippers on my pot call pockets, because I would lose my arse if it were not fastened to my backside.  I would want one of said pockets high up on my vest, with no zipper as a slot to rest it in when hunting.  Could put it there instead of on ground.

Box call pocket where it does not rattle, maybe further back than usual.

Rubber along the shoulders to hold gun sling from sliding off.

Built in back cushion, removable seat cushion because I never use one anymore.

Water storage pockets for standard size water bottle (like box call size). 

Mesh with leafy material possibly for the front only of the upper chest area.

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Happy

Knock the box call pockets off the super elite 3. Change the striker holders to vertical instead of horizontal and I would be happy.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

And yes I know that's my username before some wise elbow points that out. :)

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: Happy on May 04, 2017, 07:13:44 PM
And yes I know that's my username before some wise elbow points that out. :)

Lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

My idea vest would have a hydration bladder pocket and a self supporting seat.  Sounds like I'm describing the new Primos vest but that's not what I've got in mind. It would just have Molle straps all over it.  Pockets and pouches would be sold separately and attach just like like a Load Bearing vest or an IBA.  I think that would give hunters a lot of flexibility and I'm fond of the quick clip fasteners. I haven't had the heavy duty type fail and they are quiet. If anybody knows of one like this please let me know.

Swampchickin234

The layout of an ol tom essentials vest, with side box holster, bigger main compartment. Added Shell loops built for yellow shells. 

DirtNap647

I cut the box call pockets off of mine took a exacto knife worked at stitching came right off could hardly tell

tha bugman

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on May 05, 2017, 01:23:59 AM
The layout of an ol tom essentials vest, with side box holster, bigger main compartment. Added Shell loops built for yellow shells. 

I personally think that shell loops on the outside make more sense to me.  Faster to get to if you need to reload or unload and move to another spot for that matter. 

Tennessee Lead

Some great ideas in this thread!

LaLongbeard

One thing I do with every new vest is cut off the metal tabs on the zippers and replace with a piece of shoe lace,next I cut the windbreaker material that lines the game bag in back makes a lot of unwanted swishing noises and makes the vest hotter against your back I've  never tried to stuff a gobbler back there anyway. Lastly the plastic quick release buckles have to go Couple of buttons and the vest is silent.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

g8rvet

Quote from: Rzrbac on May 04, 2017, 10:41:33 PM
My idea vest would have a hydration bladder pocket and a self supporting seat.  Sounds like I'm describing the new Primos vest but that's not what I've got in mind. It would just have Molle straps all over it.  Pockets and pouches would be sold separately and attach just like like a Load Bearing vest or an IBA.  I think that would give hunters a lot of flexibility and I'm fond of the quick clip fasteners. I haven't had the heavy duty type fail and they are quiet. If anybody knows of one like this please let me know.
I guess I am a bit of a germ-a-phobe and the thought of a water bladder having mold in it worries me, but I can see the attraction. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Rzrbac

They make a cleaning solution for them. My favorite bladder is made by Platypus. It's like a giant ziplock bag so you can get down in it and clean it and dry it out.