OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roost Shooting

Started by Meadow Valley Man, May 02, 2017, 10:24:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadow Valley Man

Well, it happened for the second time in my Missouri hunting career. A bird was shot off the roost at 5:55 am last week. It was so dark there was no way the bird was on the ground. The other time I had it happen was at night when I was listening for gobbles from the roost. Had one gobble several times, and I was thinking it was looking good for the morning hunt. The shot ended that.

How many of you have witnessed roost shooting?

tha bugman

On more than one occasion unfortunately.   :angry9:

Fieldturkey

I had some property that I hunted when I was younger that bordered a river. The birds roosterd in some low grounds over the water that were accessible from the river. I got set up one morning on a gobbler and had someone paddle in there and shoot him out of the tree.

Hooksfan

The morning I got my last bird.  Very first gobble I heard from a neighboring farm was immediately followed by a shot.  All i could do was chuckle.  Problem is it is perfectly legal in Missouri so you may as well just laugh.  I still got my bird.  I was happy.

stinkpickle

I hear a few "early" shots every year.

Rzrbac

Yep, it happens. All part of the joys of hunting public in Southeast Missouri.

fallhnt

It's not legal is it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

nsselle

TauntoHawk

more states than you would think actually, and often the legal shooting time comes up they are still in the tree so its all well within legal lines.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Blong

Not saying it wasn't roost shot but sunrise is 6:15, it's light enough at 5:55 for a bird to pitch into a field at that time.

Dtrkyman

2nd day of Missouri season I heard one...dude has some good eyes cuz it was awfully dark!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CT Spur Collector

I hear two to three every year here in PA.

I don't like it........just my opinion.

Happy

I hear at least one every year. The lease I am on in wv is bad for doing it. They prefere to use rifles for the most part.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

KentuckyHeadhunter

I won't shoot a turkey in his bedroom.  I'll be waiting for him when he steps out of his house into the front yard.   :smiley-char092:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Farmboy27

Heard 3 on Saturday (opening day). Expect that I'll hear several more before season is over.