OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How mad are you at them?

Started by JMalin, April 30, 2017, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

I've bagged six birds this spring, and I'd still spend my days off hunting them if I could (within reason).  And I'd pretty much hunt/kill them by any legal method short of using a rifle.  So I suppose I'm still pretty mad at them.  What about you?

Tomfoolery

Left after work last friday and drove 21 hrs straight to south dakota and hit the hills without sleep. Pretty ate up

dublelung

I'm still mad enough I stomp a nest when I find one!

Cut N Run

I'm not so mad at turkeys, I just love the game of pursuit and the reward of fresh turkey for the table. I love the fact that just because he's standing somewhere behind you gobbling his @$$ off, it doesn't mean that you'll necessarily get the chance to see him, much less shoot him. 

Is there a better sound than spitting & drumming?...Yeah, I don't think so either. 

There's also something to the smell of freshly burnt gunpowder in the smoking shell casing on the ground as the bird that has kept you up nights, wrecked normal sleep, and taunted you as he followed hens last week, will be wearing your tag out of the woods.

It is hard to beat the way a ThermaCell provides a force field that keeps mosquitoes at bay as you're set up in some of the most hostile, bug infested, snaky terrain possible, because you couldn't be happier doing anything else.

It's about more than anger for me, it is obsession.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Cut N Run on May 01, 2017, 06:38:36 AM

It's about more than anger for me, it is obsession.

This. I'm obsessed/addicted enough that I've stayed single the past few years just to be able to afford my spring turkey trips and continue to knock off new states. I don't 'bank' too much of my personal leave like a lot of co-workers. We are not guaranteed tomorrow so I'm not gonna let something happen and then go 'Dang, wish I woulda took more turkey trips!' Nope, not me! My friends continue to get married and pop out kids..I got two nephews to spoil, plenty enough of me! Selfish or not, I'm completely content with being able to throw my camping gear in my truck and drive 1,200 miles alone to go kill more turkey. I could go on but it'd probably just make me look crazier.

It is an obsession, disease, etc. etc. I structure my life around it. I stay in the gym 5-6 days a week (when it is not turkey season) just so I can get to a bird if he gobbles. A big hill or hollow is no excuse to let a gobbling bird go unbothered!

Ok, promised I wouldn't go on. You get the point.

Double B

Got one tag left and I'm stuck on getting one particular  bird now.  He made me mad last time we talked...and that was my third attempt at him.  Finally saw his head peeking out at about 60ish and that's as close as he'd come.  Been obsessed with figuring him out.   Public land bird that has a few habits and I got a week to get it done.   Now he's the one I'm after.   >:(
Followed by buzzards

MT elk slayer

Quote from: Cut N Run on May 01, 2017, 06:38:36 AM

Is there a better sound than spitting & drumming?...Yeah, I don't think so either. 

Now now........ I can agree that it is a very good sound, but if you want the all time instant hard on when you hear it........ put a bow in your hand, get within 100 yds, and work on that big bull to come into bow range and he bugles his butt off. I can't think of more of a turn on. I'll stay single the rest of my life as long as I get that spitting and drumming and big bulls bugling  :boon:
When the bulls ain't talkin, hit the ice, when the ice is melted, break out the ol box call

Happy

I ain't mad at them at all. I love the game. I won't sacrifice my personal rules of engagement for a kill. That cheapens it in my eyes.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Blong

I'm not mad enough to evening hunt silent birds, hunt in the rain, deerhunt them,  ambush or limb one. If he's not playing, I don't want to either. But if he wants to gobble, I lay in bed and can't wait to chase him the next day.

Ihuntoldschool

I don't get mad at them at all. I have never hunted anything out of anger/madness.

Ihuntoldschool

And I definitely will NOT hunt them by any legal means.   I agree with Happy, that cheapens things.   I most definitely would not resort to a visual aid, food plot, or a blind to cheapen things or take an unfair advantage.  I don't get mad at turkeys, naw I have a lot of respect  for them.

stinkpickle

Double B

You guys are tempering my "mad" mood.    When I was walking out I was thinking,  cool I get to come back and do this again.  They do take you through a range of emotion some days that's for sure.  :funnyturkey:
Followed by buzzards

fallhnt

I stomp the nest....lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

tha bugman

My relationship with God and my walk with Christ in this life into the next will ALWAYS be more important than a turkey.  The fact is there will never come a time when "enough" turkeys have been killed.  Hunting in general always leaves you longing for one more, then another then another and in the end none of that really matters.

19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust[a] destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.- Matthew 6:19-21

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly nor stands in the path of sinners but his delight is in the law of the Lord and in His law he meditates day and night!"- Psalm 1:1-2