turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Coulda, woulda, shoulda......

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 11, 2011, 11:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Just got back from SC again, and Saturday afternoon, I had one of the most exciting hunts I've ever had, while at the same time, the most frustrating hunt I've ever had.
I went in to hunt down near a creek bottom. The turkeys like to go there when it is hot (and it was), and they like to roost in that area, which makes it ideal for an afternoon hunt. I walked through the woods to the creek, and looked around for 5 minutes trying to choose the best spot. I found almost 30 turkey poops in a small area under a giant tree, indicating a frequent roost site. So I chose my spot nearby, facing the roosting area with the creek to my left, which is my strong side for shooting. (unknown to me, that was mistake #1)
I built a blind since it was such an open area, and then walked over and set out a lone hen decoy on a knob above the creek, so that any turkey coming up or down the creek would see my decoy. (mistake #2)
Then I set up my Gobbler Lounge to cover the area I expected the turkeys to come from, laid out my stuff and settled in. Less than a minute had passed when crows started calling. Immediately, a tom shock gobbled to the turkeys 100 yards behind me. :o  I opted to sit tight, instead of turning around to face the gobble, confident in my set up. (mistake #3)
While I was putting on my gloves, he shock gobbled again. I popped a diaphragm in my mouth and yelped at him. He gobbled his interest. A couple of minutes later, he shock gobbled to the crows again and he was closing the distance. :icon_thumright: (or so I thought at the time) Soon, I started hearing drumming. I've got hearing loss from 28 years in the fire dep't :firefighter:, so when I hear drumming, he is close!!! The drumming got louder and louder, until soon, I could hear the phhtttt!!! that proceeded the drumming. Now I knew he was very close!! The spitting and drumming got louder and louder, until I could practically feel the subsonic rumble of the drumming!! :o  He had to have been right behind me, at 10 to 15 yards.
My gun was aimed between where he was and the decoy, hoping to intercept him on his approach. Soon the crows started up again, and he shocked gobbled to their calls. He was so close that there was a noise that I can't describe that preceeded the actual gobble. The gobbler was so close that I flinched when he gobbled. ;D He seemed to have hung up, and I knew that he was looking at the decoy. So I gave him a couple of soft clucks. He just stood there strutting. I couldn't see him because he was behind me, but I could envision him strutting back and forth, spitting and drumming. Then he shocked gobbled to crows again. It was so loud and he was so close, that it sounded as if he were gobbling through a megaphone. :lol:  So yes, I flinched again. ;D
He stayed behind me, so after a few more minutes, I gave him a few soft yelps. We were in a standoff, and he had the advantage. Finally, the spitting and drumming gave way to only drumming, and I knew he was moving away. >:(  But due to the openess of the area between he and I, I still didn't dare turn around. Finally the drumming was starting to fade. I decided to start yelping louder and cutting, trying to get him to return. (mistake #4)
That didn't work, and the drumming eventually stopped. He wouldn't answer my calls, but a real hen did off in the woods to my right. >:(  She started getting all sassy, so I got right back at her, hoping to win the attention of the gobbler back. A couple of minutes later, he shocked gobbled to crows again, and was off to my right, headed her way. :-\  So no, I didn't get him. But, it was an exciting, adrenaline filled hunt!!
So looking back, hind sight is - of course - 20/20. I consider myself to have made 4 mistakes. I'll go over them, along with what I think I should have done, and am asking for your input. Do you think they were mistakes? What would you have done?
Mistake #1 - The woods to my right were somewhat thicker, but very negotiable & frequently visited by turkeys. The creek bottom to my left was wide open. The way I faced, had the creek running from behind me to in front of me. In retrospect, I believe I should have set up with the creek running left to right, with the open creek bottom in front of me, and the thicker woods behind me.
Mistake #2 - I believe I should have gone without a decoy, since that would have made the gobbler keep coming and looking for the hen he heard.
Mistake #3 - I think as soon as I heard the first gobble, I should have turned around to face it, instead of being overconfident in my set up. I think because I was sitting in my Gobbler Lounge, I thought there would be too much noise and commotion to turn it around. But I could have laid the chair down, and just sat on the ground.
Mistake #4 - I think when I heard the drumming getting faint, I should have risked turning around and trying for a shot at the edge of my gun's effective range.
So what do you think guys? Your thoughts on what I think were mistakes, and what I think would have been better moves to make than what I chose. Yes, yes, I know, when faced with that kind of situation, and a turkey that close, you don't always think correctly. That's why I am picking y'alls minds, seeing what other people would do, so I can think better in the future.
I thought I had him, slam dunk, but he turned around and walked right out of my life. It's really been getting to me, because I don't have the greatest hunting opportunities, and encounters like that don't happen often each season for me. But usually when they do, the turkey rides home in the truck with me. That's why this one is bugging me, and I want to get the opinions of veteran hunters so I might choose better in the future.
Thanks for your input guys!!

RutnNStrutn

On the bright side, I didn't come home empty handed. I did get the consolation prize on this trip. I whacked a jake. My Dad wanted some turkey meat, so I figured, what the heck. And now, I'm glad I did!!

blackmagic

Heck, I'd be happy with the consolation prize right now.  Your story is eerily similar to mine a couple of weeks ago.  I think Mike might have told you.  I still can't sleep right.

TRKYHTR

It's hard to visualize your set up. The only thing I would have done, 20/20, is turned to the gobbler when he gobbled the first time. If you would have you would have killed him before he got to your decoy but you never know. Sometimes its just their day.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 12, 2011, 12:23:55 AMThe only thing I would have done, 20/20, is turned to the gobbler when he gobbled the first time. If you would have you would have killed him before he got to your decoy.
I agree. At the time though, I had confidence in my set up, and didn't want to risk him seeing me turn around. I think I could have gotten away with it though, and now wish I had.

bbcoach

This is a WONDERFUL story.  I have two quotes to make, and this came from my Father and Grandfather,  1.  "Hind Sight is ALWAYS 20/20",  2. "That's why we call it HUNTING! and not killing".

To me, it's about the TOTAL HUNTING experience that keeps me going back.  It's about matching wits with that animal, MOST of the time they win and occasionally we triumph.  If I went and killed an animal every time I entered the woods, I would be focused only on that one goal and never take the time to experience Gods Glory that is present in everything we see, hear, touch, taste and smell.

In this situation, you have to say I (the Supreme Being) over thought the situation and was out witted by my foe.

I would have LOVED to have been there as the GROUND TREMBLED and my EARDRUMS BURST from the DRUMMING and GOBBLING,  ONLY feet away.  THAT IS WHAT HUNTING IS ALL ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PureGold

X2 bbcoach!

Opening day of NC season this year I had two of my buddies I wanted to set up on birds with. The previous evening I was able to roost a bird and Had a really good idea of where he was. We got in there and everything was going according to plan. I would call...He would gobble. This show when on for a bit and he was always making forward progress to our position. After about 35 minutes it seemed as though he was hung up at about 65yrds inside a pine plantation. I scanned with my binos to see if I could see the bird. To my suprise I saw a barbed wire fence. This property is a horse farm so fences are not uncommon. But I had no clue that there was a fenceline tucked right up again the pines. Never saw it before! After about 30 more minutes of trying to coax him accross the fence line a Hen started yelping within 75yrds of him on the other side of the fence! GAME OVER! Just when I though it was all over and he was coming in on a string he got hung up. I was upset with myself for about 2 minutes. Yes...I messed up but He Gobbled and Gobbled for over an hour! The guys with me enjoyed it and we all looked at it as success! Being out there is what it is all about. My grandfather always said "You win some and you some". Good luck on the rest of your season!!

chcltlabz

I agree with TKYHNTR, I would have definitely turned to face him when he first gobbled.  He hadn't heard you call, so he wasn't looking for you.  Chances are you'd have gotten away with it.  Then again, you'd have missed out on a turkey experience you likely won't ever forget.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

sugarray

I think mistake #3 was your only "mistake".  You did what you thought was right, no mistake there.

Turning to face him is all it seems to have taken for him to come home with you, but now you have an experience like you have never had and will remember it forever.

Hognutz

I agree with Joe and Ray. I would have turned to him at the first gobble. He may be far enough away for you to get away with it. On the other hand, he may have seen the movement and busted you. Game over. As far as picking your spot. A guy has to rely on his experience for that. You did what you thought was right. That has to be the right decision. The decoy is never a given thing. Neither is not using one. No mistake there, either. As far as jumping around for a final chance. That could've worked. Probably wouldn't have. It is so easy to beat yourself up after the fact, but sometimes the turkey wins. This will all go into your hard-drive and pehaps, it will sway your decision making next time, and may make a difference. Because we all know that the turkey doesn't win everytime. Think of all the times you made the right decision. Probably more often than not. Dont let it get you crazy, Jim. :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

jabbo

Great story and after reading it and putting myself right there at that location I have this to say. I believe if you would have set up with the thicker stuff to your back and the creek in front of you, all the other "mistakes" would have been avoided and you might have been carrying a turkey out. Thats probably what I would have done but you never know whats going to happen in the turkey woods!!! Hope you get him next time.

flhuntress

it happens to the best of us....it sucks but at least you learned something and got to experience the spittin' up close and personal....could have been worse, you could have shot at a monster and missed...like me  :-[

AndyH

I've had situations like this happen to me more times than I'd like to admit. You did what you thought was the right thing to do at that point in time. One thing about it, he lived to hunt him another day!

Trevor2

I dont see any mistakes just lessons learned.
Strutstopper

strutstopper

Sounds like you had a very exciting and fun hunt. I would have done a couple things different, like others have said, I would have turned around when he first gobbled. Also when you could tell he was going away by the sound of him drumming, I would have turned and tried to get a shot off, because he was in strut and possibly had his fan to you and wouldn't have seen you.  I have never sat in a gobbler lounger though so I don't know how hard that would be. Either way you still got a turkey and we all make mistakes, stay after em.