turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Boxcalled to death in PA

Started by Cutt, April 29, 2017, 09:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

I've had hunters on public land here in VA walk right up on me to get to a gobbling bird.  I agree with others hit public land later in the AM if you want the woods to yourself.  I find here in VA, after the first two weeks you know who the die hards are and it ain't many. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Anyone that would work a bird that they know another hunter is already working is a piece of................................work, I guess I will say.  Probably not raised correctly.

Way to be there when it was not "convenient".  I love nasty weather days on public. 

Every single hunter that has hunted public land has a few stories to tell.  I even have a few from leases with multiple hunters. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Happy

Had a tom shot about 150 yards out from me last weekend by a fellow with a rifle. His hen was closing fast, cutting back at me and he was gobbling bout every 20 seconds. Heard the gun Crack and the hen alarm putting. Walked over the rise to watch him sprint into the field. Grab the still flopping bird and sprint back. Some people's kids.  I has been there since before they flew down an hour earlier and I am sure he knew full well what he did.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Cutt

Well it happened again, worked nights, which rained all night into the morning and quit once I arrived at 8:00 with no cars around. Got on a bird around 9:00 with some soft calling, over an hour he cut the distance in half, then I hear a fake crow. The bird gobbled so now they start calling, at this point I had to call loud to let them know I was there, but didn't want to with this bird. Didn't matter as I saw 2 hunters skirting out around me to reposition on the bird. At this point I figured the bird probably saw them, so I went after them. Not wanting to raise a ruckus incase the bird didn't see them, I asked what they were doing. And said they were getting setup on the bird, and I asked if they heard me calling and they both said no. Bullcrap I heard them call so they clearly heard me and were sneaking around my setup to their advantage. They did leave but the bird never responded again as I figured. I know it's Public and hunters will bump you, but they right out lie, and would of continued to hunt this bird if I had not approached them. 3 days in the PA woods and 2 days ruined by hunters while working birds.

ruination

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 01, 2017, 11:57:38 AM
Totally agree with Cutt.  I personally do not think Googans should be allowed to hunt public land.  All they do is interfere with the real turkey hunters and mess everything up.   

I guess you get to decide who the "Real Turkey Hunters" are.
.410 Favors the Bold

BowBendr

Quote from: ruination on May 05, 2017, 04:39:45 PM
Totally agree with Cutt.  I personally do not think Googans should be allowed to hunt public land.  All they do is interfere with the real turkey hunters and mess everything up.   

C'mon man, cut the guy some slack. You know exactly what he means.... unless you happen to be the guy this thread is about.
He is exactly right, if you are going to intentionally cut in on a guy that is actively working a bird you need to stay out of the woods...public or not.

Gods of Thunder

g8rvet

Quote from: BowBendr on May 05, 2017, 06:00:21 PM
Quote from: ruination on May 05, 2017, 04:39:45 PM

I think his point was for the other 100 judgmental comments as well.   

C'mon man, cut the guy some slack. You know exactly what he means.... unless you happen to be the guy this thread is about.
He is exactly right, if you are going to intentionally cut in on a guy that is actively working a bird you need to stay out of the woods...public or not.

Gods of Thunder
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

crow

well I couldn't type for a bit while my fingers were healing from being burned when my box call caught on fire-----just messing with you

I got cut off the other day just as I was going into the woods from my truck, this is just a pull in spot not a parking lot.

another truck pulls in, guy gets out and starts getting ready, after talking to him, he's headed where I was going, he wasn't leaving, not going to work for 2 people, not worth the aggravation so I left

this was Md., but sad to say a Pa. hunter

Gooserbat

Growing up hunting public ground I learned to get far away from roads and find areas that can't be heard from roads.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mudhen

Public land is so.....public....

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Cutt

Quote from: crow on May 06, 2017, 01:12:44 PM
guy gets out and starts getting ready, after talking to him, he's headed where I was going, he wasn't leaving, not going to work for 2 people, not worth the aggravation so I left

this was Md., but sad to say a Pa. hunter

That sucks too, had that happen a few times over the years also. If someone is there first, why would anyone want to go where they are going is beyond me? But some guys have no back up plans and are hunting a certain spot regardless as some just don't care, and does not surprise me he is from PA.

Cutt

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 06, 2017, 01:31:48 PM
Growing up hunting public ground I learned to get far away from roads and find areas that can't be heard from roads.

That's the problem with our Gamelands, they might cover 1.000 of acres, but they are broken pieces with private among them. The biggest piece around here is probably a mile & 1/2 square, but roads all the way around which makes a short walk to the center at any entrance point, it's just impossible to get away around here, even though there's lots of area.

Cutt

Quote from: mudhen on May 06, 2017, 05:57:47 PM
Public land is so.....public....

Yes and it's expected when hunting Public to see other hunters at times or hear them calling, but that doesn't mean it's okay to be ignorant towards other hunters.

Banana

Quote from: Cutt on May 06, 2017, 07:21:23 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on May 06, 2017, 01:31:48 PM

That's the problem with our Gamelands, they might cover 1.000 of acres, but they are broken pieces with private among them. The biggest piece around here is probably a mile & 1/2 square, but roads all the way around which makes a short walk to the center at any entrance point, it's just impossible to get away around here, even though there's lots of area.

I agree.  I have no problem walking but my area you can't get away from others even if you try.

Strutr

I grew up in PA and have hunted turkeys there since the '60's, mostly in the northwestern/northcental part of the state.  Back then, there were fewer turkeys and far fewer turkey hunters.  Sadly, the number of unethical hunters who show no courtesy to others has increased exponentially.  I cannot count the number of times that other guys have rushed in to either kill or spook a bird that I was working. 

It's also amazing to me how I can park along a desolate stretch of dirt road an hour before sunrise and, if I come back out at 8am, invariably, at least one other vehicle has been parked right next to my truck.  I mean, really(?), why wouldn't the guys at least drive down the road an eighth of a mile or so to park and enter the woods?  Sure, if we are all hunting public land, we have an equal right to hunt there, but in Pa we have hundreds of thousand acres of public land and timber company land to hunt so why are there so many jerks in our ranks? 

If we would all display some common courtesy and respect to our fellow hunters, we could all enjoy a better quality public land hunt.  When I find someone parked where I intended to hunt, I simply revert to my backup location(s).  How hard is that?

Being retired, I've gotten to the point of avoiding opening week and focusing my efforts on the weekdays which helps some.  Thanks for listening to my rant!            :smiley-char092: