turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Boxcalled to death in PA

Started by Cutt, April 29, 2017, 09:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double B

Totally agree Cutt, all I hunt is public and we all gotta hunt together.  We're all tax payers and should enjoy it, lots of great acreage out there.   I had a parking lot to myself this morning and I felt like I had my own lease.   If i know a guy is working a bird there's no way I want to be on him.  Competitive hunting in the field stinks.  Hunters need to show some respect, find a different bird or come back another time.  Most folks I run into are pretty dialed in but there are always a few out there. 
Followed by buzzards

Banana

Cutt you just have to ignore some people who post stuff like that.  I'm in sepa and know all too well what goes on.  I find myself shaking my head a lot, because I realize most times they aren't aware of what their doing.  After this week the box callers give up. 

JK Spurs

Quote from: Banana on April 30, 2017, 08:47:34 PM
Cutt you just have to ignore some people who post stuff like that.  I'm in sepa and know all too well what goes on.  I find myself shaking my head a lot, because I realize most times they aren't aware of what their doing.  After this week the box callers give up.
I agree....after the first week many of these guys disappear and you usually have the woods to yourself.
I like my turkey well peppered

TauntoHawk

Saturday I heard the worst calling of my life, I was embarrassed for the guy it was that bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 30, 2017, 10:23:46 PM
Saturday I heard the worst calling of my life, I was embarrassed for the guy it was that bad.

I know it sounds funny but I have heard REAL birds that sound bad!  LOL  Maybe not that bad though!  Hunting public land in Pa. can be a real challenge.  I try to confine my hunts to weekdays and get out later in the morning when most guys have left the woods.  Killed my best bird ever on public land and you guessed it, late in the morning.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Ihuntoldschool

Totally agree with Cutt.  I personally do not think Googans should be allowed to hunt public land.  All they do is interfere with the real turkey hunters and mess everything up.     I completely disagree with what that one guy was saying.   

TauntoHawk

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on May 01, 2017, 11:49:58 AM

I know it sounds funny but I have heard REAL birds that sound bad!  LOL  Maybe not that bad though!  Hunting public land in Pa. can be a real challenge.  I try to confine my hunts to weekdays and get out later in the morning when most guys have left the woods.  Killed my best bird ever on public land and you guessed it, late in the morning.

Oh I've heard my share of bad hens but this noise wasn't even turkey

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

saltysenior

after the morning hunt I told the landowner about a bird I heard.....3 of us walked a forest road in that direction... the owner cranked up his Lynch so loud and often that me and the owners son were laughing at him behind his back.......came on to a crossroad too fast and there was a gobbler running as fast as he could right for us.....he put on the brakes and ran into the woods before we even thought of shooting..that morning I learned that the Quality of the calling should not be criticized....

mikejd

The last time that happen to me I caught up with them and it was a hen. This was textbook box call yet it was a hen. There was no way I could have imagined a hen would be calling like this. But I seen it with my own eyes. Now I always wonder.

fallhnt

Cutt, I get it. There are so few of us that are considerate towards others. Doesn't change my post about moving on. Gotta think about your own safety too. Fri morning a guy pulled into a spot I was going to hunt. I asked him where he was going and he was going approximately to the same spot I was. I told him I would go someplace else and did. There wasn't room for two in that area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Fullfan

Had the same deal here in Mercer Co but when he was done making 15-18 yelps he would shake his gobble tube. Wanted to get close to the guy just to laugh at him. But decided getting shot was not worth it. Very entertaining no doubt..
Don't gobble at me...

Cutt

Quote from: mikejd on May 01, 2017, 01:18:05 PM
The last time that happen to me I caught up with them and it was a hen. This was textbook box call yet it was a hen. There was no way I could have imagined a hen would be calling like this. But I seen it with my own eyes. Now I always wonder.

True, I've heard some hens before and you swear it's a hunter with a boxcall. But this truly was a hunter, as he was flanking around to different points around the gobbler, and he occasionally threw in the worst gobble I ever heard. And the other guy on my other side sounded like he was choking on a mouthcall.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: Cutt on April 29, 2017, 09:43:53 PM
I normally sit the first Saturday out in PA, being I hunt Public, but happened to be off today, so decided to go. Had a bird going first thing only to have a guy come in even though he heard me calling and try to boxcall him to death for 2 hours. The bird ended up working away, so I figured the mad boxcaller left? At 10:00 I raised him again where he gobbled off and on and had him cover 150 yards and had him at 40 looking for me, just couldn't put a beard on him, and figured no more calling he'll come a bit closer to verify it isn't a jake. But then the mad boxcaller returns and turns the bird off my coarse. Have you ever wanted to take another hunter's boxcall and shove it up his?
Yes I have. I can tell a box call sound a mile off.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Cutt

Well things worked out today. Pulled into the same area today after working nights, and no cars. Just finished raining, so I'm guessing it must of kept most home with a wet start to the day? Got dressed at the truck, was in the woods a bit after 8:00, and was back at the truck at 9:00 with a decent 3 year old Public land bird, just over 20lbs. And I didn't use a boxcall to get him.

Cut N Run

Quote from: Cutt on May 03, 2017, 11:17:22 AM
Well things worked out today. Pulled into the same area today after working nights, and no cars. Just finished raining, so I'm guessing it must of kept most home with a wet start to the day? Got dressed at the truck, was in the woods a bit after 8:00, and was back at the truck at 9:00 with a decent 3 year old Public land bird, just over 20lbs. And I didn't use a boxcall to get him.

Nice!  Patience kills a lot of turkeys. Congratulations.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.