OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spur measurement question

Started by eorlando, April 29, 2017, 01:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eorlando

So, in light of the recent 1 1/2" spur thread it got me thinking about my own measurements. The bird I shot this year I thought had a 1 1/2" spur on one side. Now I am second guessing if I measured correct. NWTF says measure the spur from the base of the spur where it meets the scales on the leg. Here is a pic with a tape measure. Is this correct? If not, can someone tell me where I should have started from or what the correct length is?? Thanks!!! I was going to post this in the other thread but didn't want to get flamed. Haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

guesswho

Hard to tell for sure by the picture, but it looks like you might be giving yourself 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch, closer to a 1/16th.   But camera angles and such come into play trying to do it by a picture.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Your picture clearly demonstrates the problems with proper spur measurement.  The question arises as to what constitutes the actual base of the spur.  In the picture, the base could be right where you are measuring from (the 5 inch mark),...or it could actually be as much as 3/16 inch forward.  The scales at the base of the spur usually cover part of a bird's spur, and I have never seen an explanation as to how to determine the actual definitive spur base. 

My solution has always been to push the scales back to find the true spur base, but even doing that is questionable in terms of what is truly the spur base.  That is a common problem.

Also, a spur is supposed to be measured along the outside arc of the spur,...and from the deepest arc of the connection to the leg as determined by placing a straight-edge parallel to the leg, such that the measurement can be taken along the arc of the spur (confusing, I know). 

Based on all of the above,...and your picture,...it would hard (for me, at least) to definitely state that the spur is a true 1.5", but it well could be.  Honestly, you could probably ask five different knowledgeable individuals what the length of that spur is and come up with five different answers.

LaLongbeard

Don't have a picture handy...but I take an index card and fold it along the outside curve fromnthe base of the spur to the tip then lay the card flat and mea.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Ericbrooks

That's a 1.5" spur in my book!! Congratulations on a great bird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richard black

However it is measured, that is one great spur, and I would take it any day! Congrats on harvesting a real trophy!!

Swampchickin234

That's a dang fine bird.  Congrats!  I wouuld have thought it would be 1.5".  How you measured the spurs is how I have always measured them. Ill keep an eye on this thread.  Interesting. Mighty dang fine whatever it actually is. You killed a stud buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fountain2

I like to measure with a folded piece of paper along the curve as well.  Right or wrong?

stinkpickle

From what you'd lose by starting the measurement higher up on the base, you'll probably get back by measuring along the outside arc.  Either way, that's a dandy.

dublelung

From that pic I'd call that measurement 1 3/8", that's a mighty fine one!  Pics and angles are often deceiving.

appalachianassassin

Quote from: dublelung on April 29, 2017, 10:45:18 PM
From that pic I'd call that measurement 1 3/8", that's a mighty fine one!  Pics and angles are often deceiving.
ill second 1 3/8. but if you follow the outside curve youll probably pick up 1/16. 1 7/16 spurs are still dang big spurs.

Blong

1 3/8". I agree it's a fine spur but this is just what all the discussion is about. A 1.5" is a rare thing.

eorlando

I appreciate everyone that took the time to respond. Seems like the majority said he came up an 1/8" short of the 1.5" mark. I was hoping he would make it. Oh well, I am still extremely happy with him either way. Anyone else that would like to ad their. 02 cents is more than welcome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

1 1/2" or not those are some spurs!! Would take them any day.

MK M GOBL