turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What can I even do about it?

Started by MT elk slayer, April 29, 2017, 08:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT elk slayer

Got the day off work today from capturing/monitoring/collaring whitetails for research. So, I sit here at 6 am at the cabin with the doors wide open. Some may ask why would you do that when it's a whopping 28 degrees in April. I grab a cup of coffee and sit by the fireplace and listen to my gobbler just down the road go to town gobbling all over the place. I fortunately filled my tag earlier this spring over in region 6 of MT with a nice bird, 9 1/4" beard, nice spurs, beautiful fan. Working on the mount as we speak. All that is left is the maceration process of the skull. So the question is, what can I do? Simply enjoy my local birds that are only huntable by special permit and enjoy my coffee sitting around the fire. Attached are my local tom, my bird that I harvested in region 6, and my mount of last years turkey. Once my new mount is done I will post it up and you guys can tell me what you think.
When the bulls ain't talkin, hit the ice, when the ice is melted, break out the ol box call

guesswho

I'd be doing exactly what your doing, except at 28 degrees I'm closing the door and watching at a window.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dublelung

Sounds to me like you're doing what you should be doing. I'd be doing it closer to the fire though.

Blong

Put in your camo , grab a good camera and go hunt them and shoot them with the lens.

spaightlabs

I can only see one of your pics.

This is the perfect time to break out the calls and to play with the local Tom, see if you can get him to come onto the deck looking for a fight.

MT elk slayer

None of my other pictures will post for some odd reason. I am currently on the porch with the calls playing with this tom. He will respond back with a gobble to every call, but there is no way I think I will break him of his hens. He has about 8 of them. I guess I'll just have to watch the hunting channel and drool as they blast these 11" private land birds on tv  :drool:
When the bulls ain't talkin, hit the ice, when the ice is melted, break out the ol box call

owlhoot

Well the camera is a good idea.
First thing is while drinking your coffee I would keep an eye on that mount as the gobblers down the road may be looking for a fight !

MT elk slayer

UPDATE ON MY CALLING ABILITY! While sitting here playing with this tom, the phone begins to ring. I get a sour look on my face and slowly walk towards the phone. I pick it up and fill up my coffee cup. It's the neighbor and he is not happy with me. He knows I'm the only hunter in the gulch, so of course the calling is coming from me. "Will you  the F up up there, this bird down here is driving me NUTS! I'm trying to sleep, it's 7 in the morning and you have been calling for the last half hour." I guess the neighbors don't enjoy the birds as much as I do, but I sure got a good chuckle out of it  :fire: :TooFunny: now it's time to warm up and drink some coffee and watch the hunting channel before I get into anymore trouble!

owlhoot

Tell the neighbor you got turkey in your yard that is  doing all the talking
Lol

2eagles

I'm sitting here in my kitchen reading your "woe is me" story shaking my head. You are in the closest thing there is to Heaven and you're on the Internet. You're either one ungrateful sonofagun or you are bragging to make the rest of us jealous.
Beautiful land. Beautiful mount. Beautiful morning!
Happy for you.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

MT elk slayer

Definitely not bragging, MT is a beautiful place, everyday is something different. I am more than grateful to live in this beautiful landscape and can't say more about it. Just went to check on the mount of my bird from earlier this season, all that is left is the maceration of the skull and she will be on my wall of shame 9.25" beard, 3/4" spurs, beautiful fan. What do you guys think?

owlhoot

Think that turkey is flipping you off . In stereo,LOL
Really congrats though!
Would be nice to be by the fire there and having some coffees  listening to turkey and enjoying the land
Down here in the flat land it is raining cats and dogs and nothing is talking even with the thunder and lightning .

renegade19

Enjoy!  Sounds great.  Good job on the mount!