OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lighter vest or alternative....

Started by wkyhunter, April 28, 2017, 06:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkyhunter

About every year about this time (late season) I start thinking about a much lighter and quieter vest or vest alternative.
I hunted today with just a couple of calls and extra shells in my pockets. While that worked, I'd like to figure out a little better organized option.
So what light weight vest and/or pack do you use?

troutfisher13111

Try a shoulder bag like a Brossie

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tennessee Lead

Ol Tom Essentials or a Cabela's Minimalist for a vest may be what you're looking for
Also mentioned above a shoulder bag would be a nice option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampchickin234

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on April 28, 2017, 09:10:34 PM
Ol Tom Essentials or a Cabela's Minimalist for a vest may be what you're looking for
Also mentioned above a shoulder bag would be a nice option.

I live my ol tom essentials vest for this very reason.  It's light, don't hold too much junk, easy.    When mine wears out, ill by another.   I love it.

wkyhunter

spaightlabs

Quote from: Terry on April 28, 2017, 06:56:44 PM

aka, turkey purse.   ;D

Sorry ladies, had to.

tha bugman

Ol' Tom shirt and pants with a air cushion if the ground is wet.  Other than that if the Ol Tom Minimalist vest had some stronger magnets for the drop down seat I would recommend that!  Mine just would never stay locked...be moving on a bird and "down goes Frazier" :(

J-Shaped

I've gone back and forth and struggled with this for years, trying multiple vests, bags, cargo pockets, etc. This season I used my vest for a few days then switched over to a very narrow/compact Camelback pack with the cushion from an Ol Tom Essentials Vest clipped to it via a carabiner. After hunting hard with it this season, I'll have to admit that I may have finally found what I've been looking for.

As far as vests, I've tried a bunch of styles over the years, and they all have their pro's and con's. I don't suspect I'll part with the ones I still have, and I'm sure I'll still use them in certain situations. For example, I thought I had settled on the Ol Tom Essentials Vest that others have mentioned, but even it has some issues that bug me. The reality is that I like to travel light, especially if I plan to cover a lot of ground. As far as simply carrying calls, I learned long ago that I don't need a smorgasboard of them to get the job done, and while I could get by with the cargo pockets of my pants, I can't stand having stuff in the pockets rattling/flopping around. For me, the purpose of the small pack or a minimalist vest like the Ol Tom is simply a way to comfortably carry some food/water for the day, along with a few essentials like a turkey tote, pruners, a couple of extra shells and the all-important TP/wipes - in a single unit that I can grab-and-go out of the truck when I'm ready to hit the woods.

One note on the compact pack vs. even a minimalist vest like the Ol Tom - this setup allows me to move freely without the cushion falling down on the vest as others have mentioned, and there is nothing to get snagged on limbs/vegetation like the pockets/panels of the vest when not buckled shut, plus it's not hot - which is my biggest complaint with a vest once the weather warms up.

One can argue that a vest is a great way to carry a bird out, especially from a long distance. I've found the design of most vests uncomfortable for carrying any significant weight, like a big gobbler, and actually prefer the sling-style tote that goes across your body and allows you to carry the bird hands-free. They distribute the weight evenly and do a great job.

I've been at this long enough to know what works from MY style of hunting, which is all that really matters - find what works best for how YOU like to hunt. Find something that gives you the confidence to hunt effectively, and in the manner you enjoy doing it.

kjnengr

Also, don't forget about some of the waist/fanny packs.  Some are made for turkey hunting such as the turkey thugs one.....

but others are just general hunting purpose but they work too.

troutfisher13111

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 30, 2017, 04:43:42 PM
Quote from: Terry on April 28, 2017, 06:56:44 PM

aka, turkey purse.   ;D

Sorry ladies, had to.
European hand bag...

tha bugman

Quote from: kjnengr on May 02, 2017, 05:46:24 PM
Also, don't forget about some of the waist/fanny packs.  Some are made for turkey hunting such as the turkey thugs one.....

but others are just general hunting purpose but they work too.
My buddy uses his for deer hunting as well!

M Sharpe

I have used a Little Bighorn vest for years. I always seem to go back to it. I also have an original Bucklick Creek vest that I use when I want to go light. The old ones have 4 roomy zippered pockets and two non-zippered pockets. Just right for the bare essentials. I've got one of those bags, but that strap gets to cutting into my neck. Those things get heavier than you think because you load them down more than you think.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

ol bob

I went to a fanny pack about 5 years ago and never looked back if I can't carry it in the pack I don't need it.

MK M GOBL

I do this Badlands Pack! It sits to my left hip, access and out of the way. Carries everything I need.

MK M GOBL

appalachianassassin

sometimes I use a beardbuster ultimate call keeper pouch. if it dosent fit in there you don't need it. its a lot smaller than the badlands pictured above but I am an extreme minimalists. its also very comfortable.