OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snakes in Kansas.

Started by spoonbill, April 28, 2017, 03:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Just got back from Kansas. Didn't see any snakes. Still wore knee length rubber boots like in VA. Seen dozens of snakes at home and on travels. Usually just steer clear: they won't chase you. One thing you should always do is watch where you sit. Also take care where you put your hands when getting up. Snakes like warm bodies and are attracted. 

Should google snake bite treatment to be prepared for the worse. In any case get to the nearest ER as calmly and quickly as possible. Try not to freak out as you want your heart rate to stay low. Seen dozens of snake bites when I worked in a Level 1 Trauma center. Rattle snake bites are horrible. Won't go into more detail.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

mgm1955

Have never used them, hunt there every year multiple times.

spoonbill

Thanks fellas.  Prolly will just wear my snake boots.  I know I will find every rattle snake in the state if I don't.

Ericbrooks

I have lived and hunted in NE KS all my 33 years. I have never encountered a venomous snake while hunting.
I have killed a few on roads though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

Only takes that one wrong encouter for things to go down hill quickly and not only in Kansas.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

tha bugman

You just got to be quicker than the snake!

These are the little darlings I'm always watching out for in my little piece of heaven!

owlhoot

Goodnight bugman you have them covered for sure!

kjnengr

Looks like bugman got the slam ....... rattlesnake, cottonmouth, and copperhead.

nativeks

I live in eastern KS. I've been struck at twice by rattlesnakes. Nearly stepped on a copperhead one day. Another time almost sat on a copperhead. Old coworker of mine got bit on the finger 2 years ago and nearly lost his hand. A current coworker has been bit twice and said all it rides to him is make him real sick. I responded as an EMT when hit got bitten another time but luckily it didn't penetrate his boot. Last week we had a rattler at work that had climbed 5ft of fence. It found a hole in the door frame. They took a picture with its rattle hanging out and head just inside the opening.

We have a few timber rattlers but most are Massassagua rattlers. They don't rattle very loud.

BBR12

I ran across some type of rattler in southern KS several yrs ago. Don't remember exactly where but it was prairie country and he was an angry little fellow when I stopped and took some pics of him.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: kjnengr on May 01, 2017, 06:54:15 PM
Looks like bugman got the slam ....... rattlesnake, cottonmouth, and copperhead.
He might want to think about changing his name to snake man if he keeps after them like that.

nativeks

Kids basketball goal blew over in these 60 plus mph winds. This fella was underneath.

spaightlabs

Welp, there are definitley snakes in KS!  Hate 'em.

Oconeeguy

Don't know squat about Kansas, except that I would like to hunt pheasants there. But I have lived in snake country (Georgia) most of my life. We used to have rattlesnake round ups in South Georgia for a Reason. I would like all poisonous snakes and spiders to be rare, very rare. Let the non/poisonous critters take up the slack. I nearly sat down on a non-poisonous snake about 10 yrs ago when turkey hunting. Could have been bad if it had been a different snake. I do my part to make them scarce and do not apologize to the politically correct crowd for doing so. I live and hunt in snake country, and so do my kids.

GobbleNut

Quote from: tha bugman on May 01, 2017, 03:58:37 PM
You just got to be quicker than the snake!

I never eat'em raw with the skin on like that.  They are better cooked and with the skin off.   :toothy9: