OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 1/2" spur follow up question

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, April 27, 2017, 04:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericbrooks

Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 28, 2017, 02:30:02 AM
Quote from: Ericbrooks on April 27, 2017, 08:51:27 PM
Quote from: hobbes on April 27, 2017, 05:56:21 PM
Not even close to a B&C.  How many guys said they have killed a bird with 1 1/2" spurs.   You wont find the same number of guys with legit B&C bucks.  Hard core whitetail guys hunting in Midwestern states can hunt their whole life on private land and not kill a Booner, even with today's cameras.  P&Y is a different story.

There is no sense in a pissing Match, but big whitetails and turkeys are a world apart.
I agree 100% with this.
There is no turkey that compares to a mature B&C whitetail. Especially those taken with a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
how much bigger do they get if you shoot em with a bow?
A bow killed buck is more of an accomplishment than a rifle kill.

TauntoHawk

A huge factor for both is area, some guys live in a place with they will never kill either others might have multiples..

killing a 1.5in spur bird is largely luck, how many guys when they kill such a bird knew what it had for spurs and targeted him

Its much easier to target and chase a 150" whitetail cuz well you can see the rack before he's dead and even tell him from other bucks.

not being able to trophy hunt birds is one of my favorite parts about turkey hunting, keeps the focus on the pleasure of the hunt... We don't need people running around giving nicknames to turkeys and chasing particular birds that they've been letting walk for the past 5 years while his spurs matured
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MickT

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 28, 2017, 09:32:53 AM
A huge factor for both is area, some guys live in a place with they will never kill either others might have multiples..

killing a 1.5in spur bird is largely luck, how many guys when they kill such a bird knew what it had for spurs and targeted him

Its much easier to target and chase a 150" whitetail cuz well you can see the rack before he's dead and even tell him from other bucks.

not being able to trophy hunt birds is one of my favorite parts about turkey hunting, keeps the focus on the pleasure of the hunt... We don't need people running around giving nicknames to turkeys and chasing particular birds that they've been letting walk for the past 5 years while his spurs matured
X2. I'm with this guy!

Blong

Most of the 1.5" spurs that I have seen are really 1.25". I think the only place 1.5" spurs are common are Ga and Fla.

duxrus

How many people guess they have 1.5" spurs and never get a true measurement ? For every true set there are 20 more posted with no tape measure in sight

hobbes

The same can be said for whitetails.  I don't know how many guys called the shop back when I was a taxi and said they were bringing by "a 170" to find out that their uncle Bob's cousin Jed has a brother-in-law that said the buck would "score over 170, may even be a record of some kind".  Then he'd show up and it would be well under 150 and at times not more than 130.  I trust spur measurements more than antler.

I measure all my longer spurs and didn't realize a guy had to post pics of the tape next to them to make it believable.  That would be a lot of photos to confirm antler score.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: Ericbrooks on April 28, 2017, 08:10:38 AM
Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 28, 2017, 02:30:02 AM
Quote from: Ericbrooks on April 27, 2017, 08:51:27 PM
Quote from: hobbes on April 27, 2017, 05:56:21 PM
Not even close to a B&C.  How many guys said they have killed a bird with 1 1/2" spurs.   You wont find the same number of guys with legit B&C bucks.  Hard core whitetail guys hunting in Midwestern states can hunt their whole life on private land and not kill a Booner, even with today's cameras.  P&Y is a different story.

There is no sense in a pissing Match, but big whitetails and turkeys are a world apart.
I agree 100% with this.
There is no turkey that compares to a mature B&C whitetail. Especially those taken with a bow.

how much bigger do they get if you shoot em with a bow?
A bow killed buck is more of an accomplishment than a rifle kill.

Dead is dead

Ericbrooks

LOL!

HookedonHooks

Quote from: hobbes on April 28, 2017, 10:54:50 AM

I measure all my longer spurs and didn't realize a guy had to post pics of the tape next to them to make it believable.  That would be a lot of photos to confirm antler score.

Spot on here. Obvious troll comment is obvious, "pics or it didn't happen". The Internet is full of non-believers and tough guys. Most of the ones that are giving people a hard time are jealous weekend warriors who won't ever be lucky enough to get into some real trophy animals.... Putting in time, skipping school/work, and getting these trophy animals isn't easy, and it's the same thing during deer season when everyone claims high fence.... Only way to prove it to them would be to show them yourself, then they'd still say your "trophy" wasn't true chase even at that. Also no one has enough time to prove every internet troll wrong.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Bill Cooksey

Look, you can't blame folks for being dubious of measurements. Aside from knowing certain things are relatively rare, we've all seen pictures which were obviously not what was claimed. I usually try to refrain from comment, but not long ago saw someone on a FB page claiming 1.5 inch spurs. He posted a photo of the spur against his finger. It was the length from his last knuckle to the end of the finger. I didn't say he was lying, but I did ask which NBA team he played for. A man with fingers that long is more rare than a turkey with 1.5 inch spurs. For years goose hunters talked on forums about routinely killing 18-20 pound Canadas. A man who made VERY high end decoys was dubious and started a contest on what was at the time an incredibly forum where he would give a dozen decoys to the first hunter to provide absolute proof of the 20 pound goose. The decoys were worth about a thousand bucks. He dropped the weight every year until he reached, I think, 16 pounds, and no one was able to take the prize. There's been little talk of 20 pound geese since then. Obviously that's an extreme example.

Usually spurs 1.5 or greater are obvious, but that isn't always the case, and that's especially so in photography. For that reason, I almost always just leave it alone.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: duxrus on April 28, 2017, 10:38:31 AM
How many people guess they have 1.5" spurs and never get a true measurement ? For every true set there are 20 more posted with no tape measure in sight
Boy you could say the same thing bout 150" whitetails and all the ways you can mess up scoring or estimating those critters

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ericbrooks

When it comes to turkeys, I don't think the spurs alone can define a trophy.
You gotta take weight and beard length into consideration as well.

Happy

Every bird I have ever killed has been special. Antlers or spurs don't hold that much weight with me. Full fan is my only criteria

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: Ericbrooks on April 28, 2017, 01:26:22 PM
When it comes to turkeys, I don't think the spurs alone can define a trophy.
You gotta take weight and beard length into consideration as well.

True in regards to overall scoring, but I'd take an  pound beardless bird with 1.5+ inch spurs over a 30 pounder with a 12 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. They're my favorite part of a turkey.

hobbes

I settled one thing today.  I killed a tom today (see MT Mountain Bird) and found,a shed and settled the fact that a booner and a tom with 1 1/2 inch spurs can live in the same woods.  I didn't have a tape so you'll just have to take,my word for it.  :)