turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1 1/2" spur follow up question

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, April 27, 2017, 04:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

So there was just a post about the rarity of turkeys with 1 1/2" spurs.   The question I have is this - how does a gobbler with 1 1/2" spurs compare to a pope and young buck?   Does it compare to a 150" - 170"???

AndyH

I would say it compares to a Boone and Crockett whitetail

dublelung

Quote from: AndyH on April 27, 2017, 04:54:01 PM
I would say it compares to a Boone and Crockett whitetail

I would agree!

hobbes

Not even close to a B&C.  How many guys said they have killed a bird with 1 1/2" spurs.   You wont find the same number of guys with legit B&C bucks.  Hard core whitetail guys hunting in Midwestern states can hunt their whole life on private land and not kill a Booner, even with today's cameras.  P&Y is a different story.

There is no sense in a pissing Match, but big whitetails and turkeys are a world apart.

Happy

I f I were to compare I would say a 150" typical whitetail. And yeah there ain't many of those round here either.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

dublelung

Quote from: hobbes on April 27, 2017, 05:56:21 PM
Not even close to a B&C.  How many guys said they have killed a bird with 1 1/2" spurs.   You wont find the same number of guys with legit B&C bucks.  Hard core whitetail guys hunting in Midwestern states can hunt their whole life on private land and not kill a Booner, even with today's cameras.  P&Y is a different story.

There is no sense in a pissing Match, but big whitetails and turkeys are a world apart.

I missed the pissing match, all I see is a few guys having a forum discussion.

hobbes

There isn't,  and i should have said that I dont want to start one, but......

Ill also add that its a fair question.  However,  that's where these threads go.  Similar to which subspecies or which state has the toughest birds. 

Ericbrooks

I agree 100% with this.
There is no turkey that compares to a mature B&C whitetail. Especially those taken with a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

150" and 1.5" probably safe assumption that by moving the decimal point a couple places left the comparison stayes about the same.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

1tiogabowhunter

I was thinking the same thing the odds of killing a bird with 1 1/2" spurs are about the same as a killing a 150" whitetail. 

MickT

You can always hold out for a buck of a certain antler size, but how easy is it to judge 1/2" difference in spurs in the heat of the moment? I am in the "apples and oranges" camp on this one. Any longbeard is a trophy to me.

AndyH

I disagree, booners are pretty regular in my part of Ohio and I am one of those fortunate ones to have killed a legit booner with a bow, but this is my 23rd turkey season and I have yet to kill a legit 1.5" spurred gobbler and honestly don't know many people who have.

appalachianassassin

Quote from: Ericbrooks on April 27, 2017, 08:51:27 PM

I agree 100% with this.
There is no turkey that compares to a mature B&C whitetail. Especially those taken with a bow.

how much bigger do they get if you shoot em with a bow?

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

coonhunter

I will say this. I don't think you can compare.  I have never killed a turkey with 1 1/2" spurs nor have I killed a 150" deer. I do have some 125" and a 130 class buck. Here in NC it's pretty rare to kill a 150" deer.  I'd say it depends on the area. In the Midwest some want even shoot a 150 class deer.  Here it's easier to kill a turkey with 1 1/4" spurs than a 120" white tail!  And before people start saying their everywhere, you don't know how big your deer is until you put a tape on him!!!  So I would say they are not equal!  Both take time and hard work. But that whitetail don't wake up every morning and tell you where he is at!!  I get a huge thrill out of both!!
Joshua 24:15