OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help! Desperate!

Started by JohnD., April 27, 2017, 01:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnD.

I patterned my gun today and the bottom fringe of the pattern was 12-14" high at forty yards. The only problem that I could see was the rear Truglo sight had a little movement when I pressed my thumb against it. The gun always shot a little high which I like but not as high as I saw today. Two of the targets would have been clean misses and another would have put 4-5 in the head area with the bottom of the pattern. I was aiming at the targets aim point. I shot off a bench with a front and rear bag so I feel pretty confident I wasn't pulling any shots.
I did change to an old Hastings choke that I used for years and some others loads and they were just as high if not higher still. Also, this barrel has been polished and it is deep cleaned every year before the season. If anyone has a suggestion on how to bring the POA and POI closer together, I would be most grateful.

Regards, John.

Borden811

Taller front bead will bring it down, or a red dot. Changing loads might help too...

Longshanks

Quote from: JohnD. on April 28, 2017, 04:03:39 PM
I patterned my gun today and the bottom fringe of the pattern was 12-14" high at forty yards. The only problem that I could see was the rear Truglo sight had a little movement when I pressed my thumb against it. The gun always shot a little high which I like but not as high as I saw today. Two of the targets would have been clean misses and another would have put 4-5 in the head area with the bottom of the pattern. I was aiming at the targets aim point. I shot off a bench with a front and rear bag so I feel pretty confident I wasn't pulling any shots.
I did change to an old Hastings choke that I used for years and some others loads and they were just as high if not higher still. Also, this barrel has been polished and it is deep cleaned every year before the season. If anyone has a suggestion on how to bring the POA and POI closer together, I would be most grateful.

Regards, John.

I have had tru glo sights sit up on the rib of the barrel on the back sight. I noticed it prior to going out in the woods but that will definitely make it shoot high.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Longshanks on April 27, 2017, 10:34:33 PM
This is a story I constantly hear from folks hunting with Longbeards and even if they have patterened the gun. There is not much margin for error with them and if you snatch the trigger or are off a few inches at closer distances the turkey will be untouched. I would make sure everything is tight and pattern by all means but opening up your pattern will put more turkeys on the ground. Calling the turkey in and gettting in good position is the toughest part of the game. The shot shouldn't be what lets you down with a shotgun. Simple is better. I went back to double beads and shooting loads that give some margin for error.

When the LB came out they were patterned out of my 835. I shot at real big paper. There were a few targets,I said... I may have missed that bird. They were just too tight for my liking. I never used em as I saw little room for error.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Tail Feathers

I'm late to this thread but here is my two cents.
Spend some time at the range with a bench and a bull bag.  You'll find out in a few shots if it's your gun.

If the gun is OK, you need to focus on the basics, sight alignment and trigger pull.
If you still struggle, go to the eye doc, you may need glasses.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!