News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1 1/2" spurs!!!!

Started by dublelung, April 26, 2017, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Quote from: Uncle Tom on April 29, 2017, 12:20:42 PM
Hunt on the Cape Fear River in central N.C. and have killed several over 1 1/4". Near end of season in 1913, I finally got one that had eluded me for some time. He weighed 19.4, had an 11 1/4 beard, and spurs of 1 5/8" and 1 9/16". Posted picture in the local paper. Think there are others of 1.5" on that river but most time when they get that big/old they hard to hunt and wiser than we give them credit.
1913?   I bet the pictures were in black and white.   Congrats on the stud of a bird.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on April 29, 2017, 01:44:29 PM
Hunt on the Cape Fear River in central N.C. and have killed several over 1 1/4". Near end of season in 1913, I finally got one that had eluded me for some time. He weighed 19.4, had an 11 1/4 beard, and spurs of 1 5/8" and 1 9/16". Posted picture in the local paper. Think there are others of 1.5" on that river but most time when they get that big/old they hard to hunt and wiser than we give them credit.
1913?   I bet the pictures were in black and white.   Congrats on the stud of a bird.
Damn,...somebody on here older than me!  I don't think I killed my first bird until around 1915.   :toothy12:

guesswho

BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Uncle Tom

Know I am getting on up there, but not that old....meant to say 2013...now that I look back it does not seem like 4 years ago. Find that the older you get the more you look forward to chasing those ole boys and the ones that gives you the slip you never forget.

hobbes

I think you've had it right Treerooster, but what do I know.

Maybe we should elect a measuring panel (similar to B&C or P&Y).  You can make all the spur or beard length claims you want up to 1 1/4" and 10 1/2", respectively.  Anything above and beyond must be submitted to the panel for confirmation before any claims of measurements are allowed.  Proof including photos, video, and up to actual physical evidence must be submitted for the panel to review.  Just add "Measurements awaiting panel confirmation" to your post.  Afterwards you can only post the measurements if you state that they have been panel approved.  I'm sure we can come up with a cool acronym for the panel.  ;D

appalachianassassin

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 29, 2017, 01:49:41 PM
Quote from: guesswho on April 29, 2017, 01:44:29 PM
Damn,...somebody on here older than me!  I don't think I killed my first bird until around 1915.   :toothy12:
1915!!!!! wow man, hats off to you for staying after em. im sure we could all learn a thing or two from you brother. as for everyones references to my photo with the 9 gobbler heads. I was trying to come up with a photo for a cool photo contest on another site. I quickly realized this photo was not cool at all and submitted another entry.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Treerooster on April 30, 2017, 12:24:24 AM
Boy do I feel like a schmuck. I have been measuring my trophies all wrong.

I thought it was how the bird came in. The exchange of turkey talk...the gobbling..the drumming. The intensity of having a gobbler walk past you from behind and the need to let him get out there a bit before you can shoot him.

What a fool I am. And it should have been so obvious to me...you can't put a number on that stuff.

Well now you know, Gary.  All that stuff is meaningless.  It is all about who's is biggest! You obviously need an attitude adjustment. ;D :toothy9: :newmascot:

Swampchickin234

Always have been 1.5" short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dublelung

Quote from: Treerooster on April 30, 2017, 12:24:24 AM
Boy do I feel like a schmuck.

Well you should feel ike a schmuck if you think my post in any way takes away from all that.

guesswho

Two birds standing side by side at 20 yards.  You can clearly see both of their Spurs.   One looks to be twice as long as the other.  Which do you shoot?   

I think the majority of us don't turkey hunt or measure a hunts success by beard and spur length.  But it sure is nice to walk up on a long spurred gobbler.   And if given a choice I'm sure most if not all of us would choose to shoot the longer spurred bird.   But wouldn't be disappointed with a hard gobblin short spurred gobbler either.

The topic was just about how rare 1 1/2" Spurs are.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

spaightlabs

Got some nice hooks and still one leg banded old timer that shows up on the trail cams, I still always go with 'never pass on a bird on the opener that you'd be happy with on the last day...'

Some of my best memories are of birds that didn't have much for spurs or beards...

First bird I shot was a jake with a sprout of a beard and nub spurs.  It was 40 degrees out and pouring rain and we were hunting in the open hiding behind some logs.  Once he heard our calling he came sprinting across a 3/4 mile wide cornfield from the cottonwoods on the other side.  Got to a 4 strand barbed wire fence and held there at 60 yards for what seemed like hours.  finally came through the fence and slid in to 20 yards.  I will never ever forget that hunt.

hobbes

Quote from: guesswho on April 30, 2017, 03:32:52 PM
Two birds standing side by side at 20 yards.  You can clearly see both of their Spurs.   One looks to be twice as long as the other.  Which do you shoot?   

I think the majority of us don't turkey hunt or measure a hunts success by beard and spur length.  But it sure is nice to walk up on a long spurred gobbler.   And if given a choice I'm sure most if not all of us would choose to shoot the longer spurred bird.   But wouldn't be disappointed with a hard gobblin short spurred gobbler either.

They are very rare in my opinion.  It takes age, genetics, and luck.  My chance of killing one out here is pretty stinking slim, but I'm ok with that.  Full fan, strut, gobble....im shooting, but I'm like everyone else and will shoot the longer spurred bird. 

kjnengr

Quote from: guesswho on April 30, 2017, 03:32:52 PM

Agreed

MK M GOBL

I have 1 bird that I "Knew" and had seen he spurs before I killed him while I was scouting him, he has a story behind the day I killed him and was one of my most memorable hunts. I have a lot of "Favorite" hunts under different reasons but for the most part long spurs just happen. I see a longbeard and a full fan and I am squeezing a trigger, when I get to that bird sometime I get "Oh he's got some Spurs"
I keep them on a Spur Chain I call my "Top Ten List" and change them out if there is a better than one of them.

Here's my current "Top Ten" spurs

And my bird "HOOK"

MK M GOBL

Blong

Man you have killed s bunch of ivory spurs! They are pretty rare here.