OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 1/2" spurs!!!!

Started by dublelung, April 26, 2017, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

The only one I've ever killed with spurs that big, biggest gobbler I've killed to date.  Got him mounted.

Blong

appalachianassassin

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 28, 2017, 02:00:11 PM
Since you're turning this into a pissing match...  Check out that article above of my 30lb turkey. You don't have to believe me that I've killed four birds with 1 1/2" spurs at the ripe young age of 21. But one things for certain I highly doubt you've ever killed a bird bigger than that. His hooks were one of those birds with 1 1/2" plus and had an 11 1/2 inch beard. So go ahead and shut your mouth, before you continue to make a fool of yourself in front of the whole internet.
alright guy... you win... im done... but now let me give you some advise. do not become a carpenter. you would be a very poor carpenter.

spaightlabs

I don't care who ya are, that's pretty good.   :z-guntootsmiley:

HookedonHooks

Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 29, 2017, 03:01:22 AM
Since you're turning this into a pissing match...  Check out that article above of my 30lb turkey. You don't have to believe me that I've killed four birds with 1 1/2" spurs at the ripe young age of 21. But one things for certain I highly doubt you've ever killed a bird bigger than that. His hooks were one of those birds with 1 1/2" plus and had an 11 1/2 inch beard. So go ahead and shut your mouth, before you continue to make a fool of yourself in front of the whole internet.
alright guy... you win... im done... but now let me give you some advise. do not become a carpenter. you would be a very poor carpenter.

Back to your comedian routine ehh... You got some solid jokes, put as much effort into turkey hunting as you do trolling the Internet you'd probably have some quality kills.  :fud:

And reference your 1 5/8" bird again, I'll simply tell you every blind squirrel finds a nut eventually.

guesswho

Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 29, 2017, 03:01:22 AMalright guy... you win... im done... but now let me give you some advise. do not become a carpenter. you would be a very poor carpenter.
:TooFunny:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

appalachianassassin

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 29, 2017, 07:13:13 AM

Back to your comedian routine ehh... You got some solid jokes, put as much effort into turkey hunting as you do trolling the Internet you'd probably have some quality kills.  :fud:

And reference your 1 5/8" bird again, I'll simply tell you every blind squirrel finds a nut eventually.
heres my quality kills from last year

appalachianassassin

heres a pic of a bird with 1 7/16 spurs. why not call it 1 1/2. because I don't give something credit it dosent deserve.

Blong

Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 29, 2017, 08:57:23 AM

If the Dept of conservation had a behavioral analysis unit, I think you would make a great study.

spaightlabs

Now ya just look like a future serial killer.

It puts the lotion on its skin... :toothy12:

GobbleNut

All the petty bickering aside, I've got two words for everybody,....GENETICS and SUBSPECIES.  Both play a major role in whether a guy routinely shoots birds with long spurs, long beards, or multiple beards.  If anybody wants to compare trophy characteristics of their gobblers, the only true comparison is by seeing how your birds stand up to the "average" gobbler taken from the region you hunt.

There are places where a guy can hunt his entire life and never even have the opportunity to HUNT a gobbler with 1.5 inch spurs (or whatever your magic number is), much less kill one.  Same with beard characteristics. 

And another thing, it is glaringly apparent that a very high percentage of folks do not have a clue as to how to properly measure spur length (those of you who do, please do not take offense,...I am just pointing out the obvious).  Anyone that wants to discuss spur length with me has to first show me that he knows how to properly measure them.  Far too many people don't. 
:newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot:

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 29, 2017, 09:40:01 AM
All the petty bickering aside, I've got two words for everybody,....GENETICS and SUBSPECIES.
And I've got two words for you, and its not genetics and subspecies. ;D

And by the way, that's three words you goober.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on April 29, 2017, 09:57:25 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on April 29, 2017, 09:40:01 AM
All the petty bickering aside, I've got two words for everybody,....GENETICS and SUBSPECIES.
And I've got two words for you, and its not genetics and subspecies. ;D

And by the way, that's three words you goober.

Takes one to know one,...YaGoob....
...Okay, so I don't count so good....you shouldn't make fun of the mathematically challenged.  Gazintas were just being discovered back in my day...  ;D

Uncle Tom

Hunt on the Cape Fear River in central N.C. and have killed several over 1 1/4". Near end of season in 1913, I finally got one that had eluded me for some time. He weighed 19.4, had an 11 1/4 beard, and spurs of 1 5/8" and 1 9/16". Posted picture in the local paper. Think there are others of 1.5" on that river but most time when they get that big/old they hard to hunt and wiser than we give them credit.

WNCTracker

remind me to stay on your good side, that is really something