OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 1/2" spurs!!!!

Started by dublelung, April 26, 2017, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublelung

Quote from: MDTOM84 on April 27, 2017, 09:00:30 PM
Here's a bird that I called in for a buddy last season

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Have mercy! I just peed on myself a little!

gobbler336

i have personally killed 159, and only one had spurs that made 1.5, i did call another one up for a friend that had 1 9/16 daggers

appalachianassassin

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 27, 2017, 01:18:04 PM
For the non believers from my bunch of spurs it's easiest to measure them with a string then measure the string but here's a couple quick ones. The tape measure on the one with no leg bone isn't bent along the spur to measure true length but the other is. If you look at the pic there's four Spurs in there all the same size so here's to pictures to prove ya'll wrong.

no... you just proved us right.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 28, 2017, 02:26:56 AM

Either you're blind or you think you're a funny guy. Didn't have time to take pictures of all or really mess with it. The second picture is clearly well over a 1 1/2" and the first including the curve is about the same. Only way to actually prove it to ya would be to use a string ON VIDEO. But like others have said, no need to prove anything to a bunch of Internet turkey slayers that are extremely jealous of my very lucky fortune. In no way am I claiming that these birds make me anywhere near the best hunter as I said most were taken during youth season, with great assistance. So get outta here with your 100+ turkeys killed and go looks at their 1" nubs, or go scratch your nutz, either way I really don't care.

Blong

Put the 4" mark on the back of the spur and the tip on 5.5" and prove em wrong then.

Hooksfan

I have killed a few, although it's been 10 years or more since I got a true 1.5 incher. I have gotten a few 1.25 inch spurs just this year.
I have also called in two that my brother shot that were legit 1.5 and 1 7/8. Don't remember how to post pics on here.
I have a string of spurs that I only have 1.25 or greater on it.

Bill Cooksey

Don't fret. I'm always dubious of long spur claims because they are relatively rare and, more importantly, it's so common for people to post stating spurs which are very obviously well under are 1.5 or greater.

appalachianassassin

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 28, 2017, 10:39:48 AM
Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 28, 2017, 02:26:56 AM

Either you're blind or you think you're a funny guy. Didn't have time to take pictures of all or really mess with it. The second picture is clearly well over a 1 1/2" and the first including the curve is about the same. Only way to actually prove it to ya would be to use a string ON VIDEO. But like others have said, no need to prove anything to a bunch of Internet turkey slayers that are extremely jealous of my very lucky fortune. In no way am I claiming that these birds make me anywhere near the best hunter as I said most were taken during youth season, with great assistance. So get outta here with your 100+ turkeys killed and go looks at their 1" nubs, or go scratch your nutz, either way I really don't care.
if youll scroll up and look, youll see a turkey I killed with 1 5/8 spurs. way bigger than yours. if you think you make me jealous you are barking up the wrong tree. I still stand by what I said before. you have some solid 1 3/8 spurs, NOT 1 1/2.

HookedonHooks

Since you're turning this into a pissing match...  Check out that article above of my 30lb turkey. You don't have to believe me that I've killed four birds with 1 1/2" spurs at the ripe young age of 21. But one things for certain I highly doubt you've ever killed a bird bigger than that. His hooks were one of those birds with 1 1/2" plus and had an 11 1/2 inch beard. So go ahead and shut your mouth, before you continue to make a fool of yourself in front of the whole internet.

spaightlabs

Old Gobbler  -  Where men will argue about whose is bigger by an eight of an inch.

Y'all have a fantastic Friday and glorious weekend.  Get some sleep.  And some fresh air.  Pet a dog for 5 minutes.  And stay hydrated.

Even if you are tagged out, go sit in the woods for an hour or 2 and listen to nature come alive.  It's good for your soul and will help you remember what's important in life.

Tell someone you love 'em that you forget to tell that to often enough.   

Tell one person every day what you appreciate about them.

Peace out.

Ericbrooks

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 28, 2017, 02:13:53 PM
Old Gobbler  -  Where men will argue about whose is bigger by an eight of an inch.

Y'all have a fantastic Friday and glorious weekend.  Get some sleep.  And some fresh air.  Pet a dog for 5 minutes.  And stay hydrated.

Even if you are tagged out, go sit in the woods for an hour or 2 and listen to nature come alive.  It's good for your soul and will help you remember what's important in life.

Tell someone you love 'em that you forget to tell that to often enough.   

Tell one person every day what you appreciate about them.

Peace out.
Amen!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Cooksey

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 28, 2017, 02:00:11 PM
Since you're turning this into a pissing match...  Check out that article above of my 30lb turkey. You don't have to believe me that I've killed four birds with 1 1/2" spurs at the ripe young age of 21. But one things for certain I highly doubt you've ever killed a bird bigger than that. His hooks were one of those birds with 1 1/2" plus and had an 11 1/2 inch beard. So go ahead and shut your mouth, before you continue to make a fool of yourself in front of the whole internet.

Dude, relax. For me, your photo measurements are close enough to not argue if they're off 1/16th either way because you just can't tell for certain. As to the article, I've known Brent for a long time, along with about a hundred other outdoor writers. He didn't weight the bird. Someone contacted him and gave him the information. Considering the area you're from, I have no problem believing you killed a 30 pound turkey, but an outdoor writer reporting a weight someone reported to him isn't proof. That's simply offered as FYI rather than to counter your claim. I'm not in a match with you.

guesswho

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 28, 2017, 02:00:11 PM
So go ahead and shut your mouth, before you continue to make a fool of yourself in front of the whole internet.
Solid advice.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dublelung

Lol I guess my original post was somewhat backed up by what I was referring to all along. Sure there's people who kill gobblers with 1.5" spurs and there's certainly been some proof of that posted in some of the pics above. There's also been the opposite of that. The whole point I was trying to make is there's  several folks who say they've killed birds with spurs that long and are so close it's not even funny. Some of them are 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" and they still call them 1 1/2". Congrats to all of you fellas who have killed those beasts pictured above, my personal best is 1 3/8" and 1 5/16" and I'm proud of them! I've also killed a couple longbeards with no spurs at all and my heart was pounding just as heavy when they came strutting to me as it did when the limbhangers did. At any rate the post helped me get through the work week and after today I've got 3 more days to chase Mississippi gobblers until next year. Stay safe and good luck fellas!

Rockhound

2 years ago I killed 1 with 1.5" spurs i thought I'd never top it. 7 days later I killed a double bearded tom that had 1.5" spurs, kick my own butt for not mounting him. Other than that I have 1 with 13/8 and a few with 1.25. I've called in 1 other with 1.5 that a buddy killed