turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1 1/2" spurs!!!!

Started by dublelung, April 26, 2017, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appalachianassassin

only 2. the rocky ground must be rough on em.

appalachianassassin

Quote from: dublelung on April 27, 2017, 09:26:15 AM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 27, 2017, 08:06:05 AM
These are mostly all youth season birds hung up on my first ever buck kill. But out of the bunch there is four birds with one of the spurs measuring in at an 1 1/2" or greater. Will get pictures of my sisters first and only bird, it still needs certified but will be a Missouri record, her's sat at 1 7/8" and the other was 2 1/4" those hooks were un-freaking-believable. And on a side note of heaviest birds, I killed a 30.5 pound turkey and his spurs and beard are in that bunch. Here's the news article to prove it.... God how I miss hunting that prime private land that produced these monster gobblers.
http://www.lakeexpo.com/news/top_stories/kids-enjoy-dream-turkey-hunts-during-youth-season/article_913bf677-e4ad-5b12-b685-c859ce6f8c3c.html

But here's my spur necklace with some monsters

So just guessing you're in your early to mid 20's and have killed 4 gobblers with 1.5" spurs? If so, that's very fortunate and blessed. I know pics can be deceiving but I don't see 4 out of those 16 spurs being 1.5 or greater. For the record, I've been wrong many times before. lol
I don't see a single 1.5 in spur in the bunch.

Bill Cooksey

Best I can tell from photos I've seen on social media and message boards, a 1.5 inch spur is really struggling to break an inch, and a 12 inch beard is a little under 10. Doesn't mean those big boys aren't out there, but they are rare. Certainly there are places where genetics and environment combine to make them more or less common, but I've seen well over a hundred die. Two were longer than 1.5, and another measured exactly 1.5 on his best leg. The average bird I've seen killed, and I'll combine those I've seen checked, had spurs a bit under an inch, and damned few went 1.25.

davisd9

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 27, 2017, 08:06:05 AM
These are mostly all youth season birds hung up on my first ever buck kill. But out of the bunch there is four birds with one of the spurs measuring in at an 1 1/2" or greater. Will get pictures of my sisters first and only bird, it still needs certified but will be a Missouri record, her's sat at 1 7/8" and the other was 2 1/4" those hooks were un-freaking-believable. And on a side note of heaviest birds, I killed a 30.5 pound turkey and his spurs and beard are in that bunch. Here's the news article to prove it.... God how I miss hunting that prime private land that produced these monster gobblers.
http://www.lakeexpo.com/news/top_stories/kids-enjoy-dream-turkey-hunts-during-youth-season/article_913bf677-e4ad-5b12-b685-c859ce6f8c3c.html

But here's my spur necklace with some monsters in there.

2.25" is a world record for a single spur, though there is 2.5" from this year challenging it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

HookedonHooks

Quote from: davisd9 on April 27, 2017, 12:49:53 PM

2.25" is a world record for a single spur, though there is 2.5" from this year challenging it.

Don't believe me... I know it goes pics or it didn't happen... Patience and you'll see them, then sh*t right in your britches. They really are something that's a total freak of nature.

davisd9

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 27, 2017, 12:55:27 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on April 27, 2017, 12:49:53 PM

Don't believe me... I know it goes pics or it didn't happen... Patience and you'll see them, then sh*t right in your britches. They really are something that's a total freak of nature.

Do not recall saying that I believe you or not, just stated the current world record for a single spur is 2.25".
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

HookedonHooks

For the non believers from my bunch of spurs it's easiest to measure them with a string then measure the string but here's a couple quick ones. The tape measure on the one with no leg bone isn't bent along the spur to measure true length but the other is. If you look at the pic there's four Spurs in there all the same size so here's to pictures to prove ya'll wrong.

guesswho

I'll take your word for it, but the picture makes it appear that he's coming up a little short.  I could easily be wrong but it looks like about an 1/8" give or take is scale/leg.    Great bird either way and congrats!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

dublelung

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 27, 2017, 01:18:04 PM
For the non believers from my bunch of spurs it's easiest to measure them with a string then measure the string but here's a couple quick ones. The tape measure on the one with no leg bone isn't bent along the spur to measure true length but the other is. If you look at the pic there's four Spurs in there all the same size so here's to pictures to prove ya'll wrong.

Absolute beast of some spurs and bigger than any I've ever killed but you're cutting 1/16" on the first pic and can't see the end of the tape in the other one. Those are likely bigger than any the majority of turkey hunters will ever kill so you should be proud of them either way. If I'm ever fortunate enough to kill one with 1.5" or greater then it's going to cost me 800-1200.00 dollars  ;D

bullhead

I've shot 1 with 1.5" one with 1 5/8" and one that was just shy of 1 3/4. Came in at 27, 29, and 23 lbs.

Gobble!

1. I'll post picture tonight. Since holding one I am a believer. Its the birds with multiple spurs and 2"+ spurs that are insane to me. There was a 2.5" spur posted in a Turkey Facebook group last week I believe. Black Wing Taxidermy posted a pic of a bird with 2" spurs earlier this year.

spaightlabs

I sold a bunch of big spurs off some domestics that  a farmer of ours had kept around as pets for a loooong time on eBay in the last couple years.

Sold 'em to some young man in Eastern KS if I remember right. Went by Hooked on Hoo....wait a cotton picking' minute!

I'm kidding bud - don't feel like ya gotta prove up to a  bunch of guys pretending they are turkey slaying machines on the inter webs.  You will alway know the truth, and anyone that doesn't believe you isn't worth your time.   :z-twocents:

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Tom Foolery

Quote from: MDTOM84 on April 27, 2017, 09:00:30 PM
Here's a bird that I called in for a buddy last season

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HOLY DAGGERS, BATMAN!!!

Tail Feathers

My grandson got one with 1.5" spurs last spring.  It's the only 1.5" spurs I've ever seen!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!