turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1 1/2" spurs!!!!

Started by dublelung, April 26, 2017, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

I've pulled the trigger on just shy of 100 and never a 1 1/2" spur.  I've got two that were 1 7/16" but I'm yet to break inch and a half.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Yoder409

Killed one about 30 years ago that had ONE 1.5 incher.  The other was right around a heavy 1.25

Had the bird mounted and some visiting kids rode it like a horse and destroyed it..................  Still have the feet here somewhere, I think................... 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

TauntoHawk

Not yet, killed a bird with double spurs but even those don't add up to 1.5 most areas I hunt they just get too worn down but as I travel to hunt more I'm sure I'll find one eventually

I'm still gonna keep pulling the trigger and rolling them over to check.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MDSTRUTNRUT

JR took our best in 2013     1-5/8"   
not a huge bird at 19 # with a 10-1/2" beard

HookedonHooks

These are mostly all youth season birds hung up on my first ever buck kill. But out of the bunch there is four birds with one of the spurs measuring in at an 1 1/2" or greater. Will get pictures of my sisters first and only bird, it still needs certified but will be a Missouri record, her's sat at 1 7/8" and the other was 2 1/4" those hooks were un-freaking-believable. And on a side note of heaviest birds, I killed a 30.5 pound turkey and his spurs and beard are in that bunch. Here's the news article to prove it.... God how I miss hunting that prime private land that produced these monster gobblers.
http://www.lakeexpo.com/news/top_stories/kids-enjoy-dream-turkey-hunts-during-youth-season/article_913bf677-e4ad-5b12-b685-c859ce6f8c3c.html

But here's my spur necklace with some monsters in there.

HookedonHooks

The Kansas stud I killed this year on Easter also had one hook that was 1 1/2" them puppies were sharp too, sliced my hand good when he was deader then a rock, no flop, just got me wrong carrying him out.

WildTigerTrout

Never killed one with 1 1/2 " spurs.  My best was 1 1/4 " on one side and 1 3/8" on the other.  Birds here in the mountains and ridges don't really get those long sharp spurs.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

dublelung

Quote from: TURKEYSTALKER on April 26, 2017, 11:16:15 PM
JR took our best in 2013     1-5/8"   
not a huge bird at 19 # with a 10-1/2" beard

Those are some freakin' daggers! Those are dream spurs! Congrats to your junior!

dublelung

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 27, 2017, 08:06:05 AM
These are mostly all youth season birds hung up on my first ever buck kill. But out of the bunch there is four birds with one of the spurs measuring in at an 1 1/2" or greater. Will get pictures of my sisters first and only bird, it still needs certified but will be a Missouri record, her's sat at 1 7/8" and the other was 2 1/4" those hooks were un-freaking-believable. And on a side note of heaviest birds, I killed a 30.5 pound turkey and his spurs and beard are in that bunch. Here's the news article to prove it.... God how I miss hunting that prime private land that produced these monster gobblers.
http://www.lakeexpo.com/news/top_stories/kids-enjoy-dream-turkey-hunts-during-youth-season/article_913bf677-e4ad-5b12-b685-c859ce6f8c3c.html

But here's my spur necklace with some monsters in there.

So just guessing you're in your early to mid 20's and have killed 4 gobblers with 1.5" spurs? If so, that's very fortunate and blessed. I know pics can be deceiving but I don't see 4 out of those 16 spurs being 1.5 or greater. For the record, I've been wrong many times before. lol

Chilly

I've been killing turkeys for about 23 years.  I've only killed two that were 1-1/2".  One of those was 1-9/16.  I've killed several 1-1/4 and 1-3/8.  Got a 1-5/16 yesterday...
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Brs2427

I have gotten lucky and shot two birds with 1 1/2 inch spurs one I mounted and the other has a fan mount I only have a pic of the one on my phone right now. Both eastern s from Virginia

RS

One so far. 1.5", as measured by an independent 3rd party at a local sporting good store.

Here he is mounted.

appalachianstruttstopper

Only 1 in my 30 years of Turkey hunting. Appalachian mountains are tough on spurs with steep terrain and plenty of rocks.

beakbuster10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Quote from: dublelung on April 27, 2017, 09:26:15 AM

So just guessing you're in your early to mid 20's and have killed 4 gobblers with 1.5" spurs? If so, that's very fortunate and blessed. I know pics can be deceiving but I don't see 4 out of those 16 spurs being 1.5 or greater. For the record, I've been wrong many times before. lol

I'll get up a few tape measure pictures.... I was very fortunate in hunting flat river bottoms where the hooks rarely got worn down. I fully credit the land I was hunting on and my father for calling these birds in... Between them and the 30 lb. bird I likely will never top them in the rest of my years, that land was a DREAM to hunt on and is for sale if anyone's got a million dollars.