turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1 1/2" spurs!!!!

Started by dublelung, April 26, 2017, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublelung

Ok we all know someone who's always killing gobblers with 1 1/2" spurs. We hear the stories, we read the posts, we see the pictures (usually without tapes) but now seriously how many of you have killed a longbeard with legit 1 1/2" or greater spurs? Without looking at my records I've killed roughly 100 gobblers and can tell you without a doubt I've never killed one with spurs that long. So lets hear it and better yet, lets see them!  :drool:

Ozarks Hillbilly

Your measuring spur length from the wrong side of the gobblers leg. If you hook your tape on the front of their leg it makes your tape measure much easier to hold as well.   :lol:

Greg Massey

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on April 26, 2017, 05:14:20 PM
Your measuring spur length from the wrong side of the gobblers leg. If you hook your tape on the front of their leg it makes your tape measure much easier to hold as well.   :lol:
:TooFunny:

SteelerFan

1x (in 30+ years...rocky mountain ground)

guesswho

A handful.  And a couple legit 1 3/4 inches.  An Osceola and a Eastern.   But I agree, most 1 1/2's are closer to 1 1/4.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

stinkpickle

Hey now, 7/8" rounds up to 1 1/2".  Fact...it's science.

SteelerFan

Happy

Never killed one and have only held one or two sets. They aren't common at all here in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

davisd9

Do not know whether it was or not cause we did not measure. I did not kill him but roosted him for my father in laws friend. Probably the closest I have seen in person if not 1.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Dtrkyman

I've killed a bunch, and have 2 for sure and one other that was close, Ive guided hundreds of kills and have only seen a few.

So in several hundred maybe four or five ever!  there impressive, my best are 1 7/8

Tom Foolery

I've never killed one with 1.5" hooks.  I've only ever seen a couple killed around here with 1.5" spurs.

BBR12

I have killed one with true 1.5" Spurs and another that 99.98% of people' would call 1.5 they were a strong 1 7/16. The same evening I killed my 1.5" bird I was so pumped then my cousin showed up at the camp with one that had true 1 7/8" Spurs and let all the wind out of my sails. 

hobbes

I've killed one in IL that had a 1 5/8" spur and the other spur had the tip broke off.  It's honestly been long enough that I can't recall if the shorter spur was 1 7/16 or 1 9/16. 

I think after that I fall back to multiple 1 1/4" spurs.

born2hunt

My 7 year old  daughter's first bird had one spur that measured 1 5/8. Out of all the Osceolas I've killed my best is an 1 1/4.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

wvmntnhick

Bird in my avatar had a legit 12" beard (not measuring the gristle that many include once removing it from the bird) and one spur that was 1.5" and the other was 1-7/16". Bird this year had one that was 1-1/4" and the other was 1-3/8". So close, but not quite. Either way, both birds made me happy. Not a ton of them killed but as one mentioned above, when measured properly, they can easily become 1-1/2" pretty fast.  :funnyturkey: