OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What to expect with rios and weather

Started by RiverRoost, April 25, 2017, 04:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Heading to NW Ok this weekend and the weather is looking like chances of rain off and on all weekend with temps getting down to around 37 at night and high winds. Been there before and it's a lot of birds but never been with this type of potential weather. What should I expect from the birds with some rain and cool temps?

hobbes

I've only hunted Rios twice (KS and Eastern CO).  I didn't notice any difference between Rios, Merriam's, or Easterns on how they respond to rain.

RiverRoost

I'm kinda worried it's gonna be like eastern spring here in Mississippi during and after rains, busts

J-Shaped

Those birds are going to be more used to those conditions, especially out there, than you are. After traveling to TX, OK and KS several times over the years, I've come to accept the cold and high winds as normal. You may have to adapt your tactics from what you're used to at home, and it will make hearing birds more difficult, but my guess is that you'll do fine if you are flexible in your tactics. Just returned from out that way and had all of the conditions you mentioned, plus some bluebird days and we did fine.

fallhnt

Expect muddy roads

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gooserbat

They are going to gobble less especially if it's wet.  Also look for them to stay out of the wind.  Creek bottoms and protected hillsides. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Txag12

:TrainWreck1:
Quote from: Gooserbat on April 25, 2017, 11:06:38 PM
They are going to gobble less especially if it's wet.  Also look for them to stay out of the wind.  Creek bottoms and protected hillsides.

This, as well as being more selective on their roost trees in my experience.

Sand Man

Quote from: fallhnt on April 25, 2017, 08:55:13 PM
Expect muddy roads

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

:TooFunny:  Sorry.  I had to laugh at that.

Like others have said, cold/wet tends to shut them up a little.  It also keeps them in creek bottoms or protected mesquite flats.  I wouldn't hunt fields unless the sun pops out and things start drying out.  If you've hunted the area before and know their travel habits, you should do fine.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!