OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey and sea trout

Started by Sixes, April 24, 2017, 11:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixes

Middle Georgia, the turkeys are very scarce this year in the area. This is the only bird that I heard gobble and is only one of 2 that I saw, I only saw 2 others strutting in a fields with hens. The turkey population must be on a down cycle as normally the fields are full of birds and I typically call up several on a 4 day hunt.

This bird was a sure enough tough joker to kill. I knew where he might be cause I hunted him last year. We didn't get there Saturday for the morning hunt so I went out scouting and ended up close to where I thought this bird would be. I called him up Saturday evening and he hung up about 80 yards away across a very shallow ditch. I'm talking a gentle sloped 4 foot wide, 2 foot deep ditch. Just crazy what will hang up a gobbler. The next morning, he was roosted a long ways away and I couldn't coax him my way.

Sunday evening, same area but I set up where he put on the show the evening before. This time he shows up about 80 yards away in a different spot on the same treeline against an uncut field. He gobbled a dozen times and would not come closer. He finally lost interest and left.

Monday morning, hunted a different area, heard nothing, saw nothing. Monday evening, went back to the same thin treeline, but this time I called off and on for about 30 minutes from the same spot as the first day and then moved to in between the 2 spots closer to where he came out the first day. I never called again. 10-15 minutes after hiding within close range of the treeline, he started gobbling and a few minutes later, I saw him easing down the treeline, half strutting and gobbling, he came out about on top of me, less than 20 yards away. Almost too close. I hung him up by the spurs and took his picture on his treeline.

Double beard but if you count the few strands in the feathers there is third beard base. Long spurs and an old heavy bird.

Left on Tuesday and then headed for Steinhatchee, Florida and fished thru Saturday and finally home Sunday after 9 days of fun. We caught a 6 man limit on all 4 days of fishing plus some bonus black bass, flounder and spanish mackerel.

goblr77

Nice turkey and box of trout. Two of my favorite things.

Geechie

Nice job on the bird and the trout! I'm planning on getting back on the fish inshore here May 6th.

renegade19

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

KentuckyHeadhunter

Steinhatchee is great for speckled trout and boy are they delicious!  Congrats on a middle GA gobbler also.  I hunted Treutlen Co a lot and they were quiet after fly-down or henned up for me.  Definitely different than past years although the weather probably played a factor.  Good job.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

kyturkeyhunter4

g8rvet

How can you enjoy the bounty of all we have in nature and not say "God is great"!  Wonderful job on the bird and the specks. 

Our duck hunting season was turrible, in FL and GA side. So we went to the coast and wore out the reds and trout!  Even netted a few mullet for the grease. 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

wcerin

Now that's livin!!! Way to go, looks like a great time!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

Gooserbat

Congratulations on a great trip
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MDSTRUTNRUT

NOW THAT'S A GREAT TRIP!   Nice bird and one big GATOR TROUT.  Here in mid chesapeake bay our speck numbers have been down after winter die off couple years back in Virginia and North Carolina.  What you catch them on, jigs under popping cork or bait.   One FUN CATCHIN FISH AND GOOD EATIN TOO!   

Sixes

Quote from: TURKEYSTALKER on April 24, 2017, 09:39:04 PM
  NOW THAT'S A GREAT TRIP!   Nice bird and one big GATOR TROUT.  Here in mid chesapeake bay our speck numbers have been down after winter die off couple years back in Virginia and North Carolina.  What you catch them on, jigs under popping cork or bait.   One FUN CATCHIN FISH AND GOOD EATIN TOO!

Mainly Gulp under popping corks and the rest on cut bait and plugs.

letinmfly

Now that's a trip!!  If you're only going to kill one bird it may as well be a double beard.  Way to go!!
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Jasonb53

Trout and bite has been on fire here in the panhandle

Gold Spur

Congrats on a great hunt and fishing trip.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!