turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First bird with a trumpet

Started by eorlando, April 24, 2017, 08:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eorlando

Well, I finally got my first bird with a trumpet on the last day of the season down here in FL. As many of you know I got my first trumpet back in February and I was determined to take a bird with it this season. With the help of you guys on here it became a reality!!! I hunted all day on Saturday and heard a lot of gobbling on the roost. I had a few hens come through but no gobblers. I went back to camp at noon for a nap and then headed back out to the woods around 3. I was headed to my spot when I caught movement about 60 yards out so I slipped into the brush and waited a few minutes and hit the call. Nothing. 15 minutes later hit the call and they hammer down. Game on. Set up to where I thought they were going to come down the trail straight to me. Instead they had another idea and circled way around and ended up at the spot that I hunted in the morning 150 yards from where I was. I hit the call again and they gobbled and started head my way. That's when I realized that I didn't have a tree to lean up against from the direction they were going to be coming. They were at 70 yards and coming quick. I scrambled to turn around and find a tree to rest up against. As soon as I got positioned and looked up they were running the opposite direction. They must have caught my movement. I was bummed to say the least. There was at least one good bird in the bunch. The rest of the evening was uneventful with no gobbling and only two more hens seen.

The next morning I ended up hunting the spot that I hunted the previous morning. The birds were gobbling good on the roost again. I had birds a couple hundred yards out in front of me and one out to the right. At one point one of the birds got to within a hundred yards and I thought for sure he was coming in. Next thing I know he's a couple hundred yards away again. I was just about to pick up and make a move when he gobbled a hundred yards away again. He was gobbling at every Crow that would call and all of my calls. At one point he was gobbling every 10 seconds. He must have gobbled a hundred times. I knew he was going to either come down a trail to my right or come in from behind me and from the left. The right side was ideal for me and what I hoped for. He was still gobbling at everything and getting closer. He gobbled one more time and was at 40 yards or so and confirmed he was coming in from the right. A minute passed by and then I heard him drumming seconds later he gobbled and then stepped out in full strut in the field. He came out of strut when he saw the DSDs ran about 5 yards towards them and then started to go into strut again. As soon as he came out of strut I rolled hm at 20 yards. He ended up being my biggest Osceola so far. 18 lbs, 10 3/4" beard, 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" spurs for a score of 67. I couldn't be happier. I hunted a lot this year so I was glad to finally seal the deal on the last day. I have to say I LOVE using a trumpet. The Osage Buice served me well this weekend.

Rapscallion Vermilion

:icon_thumright: Well done.  Great write up.  That is a mighty fine gobbler for your first with a trumpet.

Spitten and drummen

way to go. I love hunting with my trumpet. Im no master yet , but have had good luck so far.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

nitro

Congrats on a great bird. Job well done!!
Royal Slam 2008

davisd9

Congratulations, that Buice Osage is a killer!

I really like the #3 myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

appalachianstruttstopper

Nice bird. Never had a trumpet before but I have used the wing bone quite a bit. Congrats!!!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Congrats to you.  Great job.  I liked that horn the best of all of them you shared previously.  The mud-cured spot on the barrel is very cool. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

1iagobblergetter

Congrats Eric.....Now your definitely Hooked on Trumpets!!! Great bird and play by play...nice to see others like a nap sometimes also..I usually get mine out hunting while it's slow...Lol...

troutfisher13111

Congrats on your kill! The first with a trumpet is special

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

kyturkeyhunter4

TRG3

Nice bird and congratulations on getting him your way. While I've made several wing bone yelpers, I've yet to master any of them nor the tube call. I need to start practicing in the winter so that I'll be halfway descent come spring. Plan your work...work your plan.

outdoors

Congratulations on your #1 FIRST TRUMPET BIRD. eorlando
IV HAD GREAT RESULTS IN MY AERA WITH A TRUMPET .......
And I hunt in a management area , lots of PREASURE.........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field