OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Video of hunter being shot by another hunter

Started by spaightlabs, April 22, 2017, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghillie

Sounds like a rifle to me. You can also see where the shooter was, there is a puff of smoke over the victim's shoulder in the tree line/blowdown behind him. Not sure if this is staged or not, looks like he was truly hit as you can see his pants move where the possible projectile hits him. Crazy...

Greg Massey

I think it's people trying to make money on youtube...just doesn't look right...you think that shot would only hit one person at that distance , i think it's all made up...you never see any dust on the ground from the shot..

kyturkeyhunter4

Rapscallion Vermilion

Here are some comments posted by the fellow that put up the video.

"In this particular incident we are calling to 2 gobblers that are located in front of us when somebody sneaks in behind us and shoots through us."

"Yeah it hit alot of calls and stuff in my vest pockets before it hit me?"

"No they shot my Jake decoy about 23 yards in front of us?"

If it is staged, it is pretty carefully done.  But it does seem very odd that several shot hit that one spot and nowhere else. I would expect a lot of dirt and debris to be kicked up.  There doesn't seem to be any official report of this incident anywhere. 

FL-Boss

Yea, I don't know. I would think there would be more yelling and commotion from everyone. Camera man doesn't really do anything or seemed alarmed,  also why was the video cut short at the end? Also find it hard to believe none of the shot spread didn't hit the guy next to him..

mtns2hunt

Staged or not it raises awareness which is good. I had some guy walk up behind my blind the other day. I think he was planning to use it until he saw my decoys. You just never know. We all need to practice defensive hunting!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Swenny

eggshell

Perhaps i can lend some perspective. I was shot while turkey hunting and wounded with life threatening injuries. I was standing still had just called and wham I felt something hit me hard (I was actually shot with a broadhead). It only took a moment to realize I was shot. I yelled out, "you shot me" and then fell to the ground, bleeding profusely. There was no screaming and blaming or arguing, when your dieing you don't give a dam about why, but just trying to survive. The man who shot me heard the call and saw what he was sure was a turkeys back, it turned out to be a dark patch of my camouflage on the back of my thigh. I was shot through the upper thigh. The mind does convince us we are seeing what we want. It is a matter of discipline to wait and make sure of what you are seeing. This was fall season so it would have been legal to shoot any turkey. All the guy could do was repeated say, What have I done, what have I done...... I told him to quit sniveling and help me out. It was almost a mile to the truck.  He did and begged for forgiveness. You see he had hunted for 50 years and never envisioned how he could have done such a thing. Don't ever think it can't happen, just always make sure, take zero chances.Always know what you are shooting beyond a doubt. I did forgive the man who shot me, but I don't think he ever forgave himself. It is a horrible experience and the only comments that are necessary are, we should all learn from this and do all we can to make sure our sport is safe. I fully believe anyone who is a perpetrator in a hunting incident should lose their hunting privileges for the rest of their life!   

Greg Massey

Quote from: eggshell on April 23, 2017, 03:21:59 PM
Perhaps i can lend some perspective. I was shot while turkey hunting and wounded with life threatening injuries. I was standing still had just called and wham I felt something hit me hard (I was actually shot with a broadhead). It only took a moment to realize I was shot. I yelled out, "you shot me" and then fell to the ground, bleeding profusely. There was no screaming and blaming or arguing, when your dieing you don't give a dam about why, but just trying to survive. The man who shot me heard the call and saw what he was sure was a turkeys back, it turned out to be a dark patch of my camouflage on the back of my thigh. I was shot through the upper thigh. The mind does convince us we are seeing what we want. It is a matter of discipline to wait and make sure of what you are seeing. This was fall season so it would have been legal to shoot any turkey. All the guy could do was repeated say, What have I done, what have I done...... I told him to quit sniveling and help me out. It was almost a mile to the truck.  He did and begged for forgiveness. You see he had hunted for 50 years and never envisioned how he could have done such a thing. Don't ever think it can't happen, just always make sure, take zero chances.Always know what you are shooting beyond a doubt. I did forgive the man who shot me, but I don't think he ever forgave himself. It is a horrible experience and the only comments that are necessary are, we should all learn from this and do all we can to make sure our sport is safe. I fully believe anyone who is a perpetrator in a hunting incident should lose their hunting privileges for the rest of their life!   
So sorry you were shot...but i'm so glad you lived to tell about it...

fallsflight

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 23, 2017, 12:51:24 AM
Could this be a made up video...
I wondered the same thing.  Isn't the action on the gun of the guy that was shot open?  The guy behind the camera sure wasn't reacting like they were taking on fire either.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: fallsflight on April 23, 2017, 03:57:59 PM
I wondered the same thing.  Isn't the action on the gun of the guy that was shot open?  The guy behind the camera sure wasn't reacting like they were taking on fire either.

Good catch.  Yeah, the forearm is back and the action is open.  Real fishy.

CMBOSTC

I don't think that the report from the gun was a rifle, sounded like a shotgun to me. I have been shot at from about 75 yards or so with a shotgun that had a double extra full choke and it peppered everything within a 10-20 foot diameter around me. By the looks of the distance in the video, which is hard to tell, the guy beside the guy that was shot should have also been hit and possibly the camera man. The other thing that I noticed, I didn't hear the peppering that should have happened, hitting the logs, camera equipment etc. There is something that falls to the ground between the two hunters after the guys reacts but I can't tell what it is. The other curious thing that I notice is that the guy who was shot almost leans in the direction to conceal what is going on behind him.

Marc

Quote from: fallsflight on April 23, 2017, 03:57:59 PM

Yeah...  The camera guy's reaction is that of complete boredom or apathy it seems... 

Good catch on the action of the gun.  That seems fishy to me...

I also have a story of someone being shot.  My father was shot while quail hunting...  My father was extremely calm (and in some shock), and when I arrived to him, I was quietly determined, and started treating wounds, while the shooter called 911; nobody ran around waving their arms, and nobody yelled out or anything.  The guy who shot him was in shock as well...  But nobody was a apathetic as that camera man in the video.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

I was wood duck hunting during our early phase about 15 years ago.  There were lots of people around, but we got in a good spot where we had a good field of view and no lights around us.  Only had about 30 yards between us and a pretty solid wall of cypress trees behind us.  We had started shooting and wounded one behind us.  I turned and finished it on the water.  We went back to hunting. About 10 minutes later we hear a shot, right behind us, right where I had just finished a cripple.  Scared me to death. I immediately walked back there and the guy had been there since before daylight. He had seen out lights and admitted he had moved in without lights.  I asked if I peppered him and he said no.  I told him he was insane to be 50 yards away from another hunter and not call out or shine his light to let us know he was there. I did not even shoot the guy but was upset enough I stopped hunting. 

I agree this is fishy.  If someone shoots me, my reaction will be more animated.  If they shoot someone I am with, all my inclination will be to return fire, I hope I can control that if it ever happens.  If this is real and they were shooting at a jake decoy in front of them, I see no way it would not have hit at least his outside, or no one.  Would like to know if it is real.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.