OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

This is for you know who...

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 21, 2017, 09:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Well, I finally did it! I finally called in and shot my first public land bird. I heard him gobble down by a creek, which was about 200 yards, parallel, off the road that I was on. I setup on a tree, about 40 yards into the thin pines on my side of the road. I let out a few soft yelps on my pot call, and he gobbled again. Now, between the road and the creek, the land had been cleared, and the trees were stacked, like a wall, with an opening about every 100 yards. I decided to move over to a tree closer to a thicker set of small trees so I would have a shot as soon as I saw him, when/if he came to me.

So, the next thing that I see is a bird walking in the open area between the "tree wall" and the creek. I let out a few more yelps, and he came running! Next thing I know, he cuts off to my right, at about 100 yards. I was afraid that I was going to have to make a move on him but, next thing I knew, he had crossed the road and popped into the small thick pines. He came in to my right, I got adjusted, and shot him as soon as he stepped into the first clear spot.

Since I first started turkey hunting, calling in and shooting a public land bird, on my own, has been the biggest turkey hunting goal, and biggest turkey hunting trophy of mine. I cannot express how exciting, and relieving, it was to step on that bird's neck!

I was alone, so these are the best pictures that I could get:

Happy

Congrats! Persistence pays off. No better feeling than pushing through and succeeding.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

tha bugman

TauntoHawk

Congrats, you got out there applied your calling practice and went after them

Killed a nice one, those public land birds are just a bit sweeter at times
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2eagles

Gooserbat

Well done.

Lesson to be learned.  Very often we should stay still and let the bird come to us but being impatient and trying a new setup is unnecessary risk.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jroddc

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gobspur

Hey congrats man!  Persistence and patience!  That's a nice bird.  Always got to keep after it, lots of ups and downs chasing these birds.

g8rvet

Very glad for ya brother.  After the trigger squeeze and the adrenaline dump, that is an awesome carry out of the woods.  Can't even feel your feet on the ground.  The reaching of a self set goal is the reason we hunt. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Rzrbac

There you go, some will get easier and some will drive you crazy. It's just one foot in front of the other.  CONGRATS  :happy0064:

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!