Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wife's First Turkey--Oldest Turkey Ever?

Started by gatrapper, April 21, 2017, 08:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

Last Saturday my wife was able to shoot her first turkey. I have been seeing this bird in our pasture for a few weeks now. He is always limping and he is usually alone.

This bird popped out of the woods Saturday evening around 6:30 and it took about an hour for him to work his way into range.

The bird couldn't have weighed more than 15 pounds. His 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inch spurs looked highly aged and he only had a 7 inch beard. When we went to breast him out, the meat was almost peanut butter in color and consistency.

How old do you think this bird is?

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Happy

As old as he is gonna get! It's a hard call but spurs are deceiving on age. If I would guess I would say around 3-4 year old but it is purely a guess.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

gatrapper

I was thinking four, but this bird just doesn't look like a typical 4 year old bird.

Happy

Four is the number that seems right to me but short of a birth certificate it impossible to prove. Some claim to be able to tell from the roost bone but I have yet to see a solid way to age a bird once they get past two. Congrats to you both by the way.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

spaightlabs

Only way to age a bird with certainty is if it was banded.

Tree Rooster on here has harvested some 6 and 7 year olds if I recall correctly.

If spur and beard length were a true indicator those birds woulda had 4 inch spurs and 20 inch beards.   ;)

How'd ya get the little lady to wear poo face makeup?   ;D  Facemasks work pretty good...

Congrats to her on a nice, but not the oldest ever, bird.

gatrapper

Our only option was to setup in a blind. The field is surrounded with a barbed wire fence and the grass is shorter than your lawn haha. She prefers the face paint versus a mask too.

tha bugman

Congrats to your Boss Hen on getting it done!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

TauntoHawk

old probably, without a band on his leg there's no way to tell but I think birds can be older than some think. I know of a 2 banded bird that were shot at 7yrs and 8yrs old with not much more than beat up 1 1/4 spurs with fat bases but field aging those birds anyone I know wouldn't have gone higher than say 4yrs old

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jv

No matter how old it is its a pretty bird, congratulations to her.
Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.

Cottonmouth

Hard to guess but a trophy for sure. Those old birds are tough to kill. Didn't get old being dumb. Give her a pat on the back for me.

Tail Feathers

Hard to say the age with any certainty, but congrats to her on taking a wary old warrior bird.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Lucky_Strutter

The Great White Spur Hunter

Dr Juice

Congrats. He was a 4-yr old IMO.