turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 870 vs Mossberg 835

Started by kyturkeyhunter4, April 20, 2017, 10:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyturkeyhunter4

If you guys had to pick between Remington 870 or Mossberg 835 shooting the same loads Winchester 3 1/2 inch Longbeards #6 with jebs chokes which do you think would perform better pattern wise. Just curious on everyone's opinion on this.

Bolandstrutters

I've had better luck with 835s and just prefer the safety location mostly.  Both killer guns.

tha bugman

can't go wrong with either one.  seems like I have had better luck with the 835's and patterning.

Gamblinman

870. Pick up an older Wingmaster or Special Purpose gun. They have less stamped parts. The 870 express line is on par with the Mossberg guns.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

jblackburn

I have both and I'm not afraid to take either one in the woods.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

sswv

have owned both. only have 870's now. I've got several friends that went down the 835 road also and they're now 870 shooters. nothing wrong with the 835, they're just not an 870.

jus my 2cents

Happy

I am a die hard 835 fellow. I like the back bored barrel when shooting 3.5" loads. That being said, there is nothing wrong with an 870. Both are good guns but I would give the edge to the 835 pattern- wise.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

Im an 870 guy but nothing wrong with the 835.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I would say most 835's are going to pattern 3.5 shells better. I think fit an finish goes to the 870 plus all of the aftermarket accessories and parts you can get for a 870 is a plus I feel. But this is all coming from a Big Green fan.  :z-twocents:

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on April 20, 2017, 10:46:33 AM
I've had better luck with 835s and just prefer the safety location mostly.  Both killer guns.
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HunterMc23

vt35mag

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on April 20, 2017, 02:15:34 PM
Quote from: Bolandstrutters on April 20, 2017, 10:46:33 AM
This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.
On average, I think the 835 patterns 3-1/2 better too.

Ihuntoldschool

The Remington will shoot the Longbeards better if everything else is equal.   

Uncle Tom

The 870 wingmaster with a Carlson Longbeard choke will pattern the LB's way out further than we should shoot. The wingmaster is steel receiver and I believe the express is aluminum...not stamped parts. The 835 is a turkey killing machine if you get it set up right...both have been around a long time.

idratherb

Id stick to the remington and use the mossburg for a diggin iron