turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poison ivy from Turkey?

Started by Poleaxe, April 17, 2017, 11:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

I just started my seasonal poison ivy medicine that keeps me from getting it really bad because I'm highly allergic to it. I know I haven't laid down or gotten into any. Has anyone else ever gotten it off a bird they've cleaned? Guess their feathers could pick up the oil just like anything else could. I know cleaning one couple weeks bag gave me chigger bites cause my cloths were sprayed down while hunting and I changed into more comfortable cloths before I cleaned it. Just wondered if anyone else has either of these from the birds?

thwack16

I'm coated in it right now, but doubt I got it from a turkey. Certainly possible I guess. This prevental poison ivy medicine... Prescription or OTC? Name?

Poleaxe

Quote from: thwack16 on April 18, 2017, 11:13:24 AM
I'm coated in it right now, but doubt I got it from a turkey. Certainly possible I guess. This prevental poison ivy medicine... Prescription or OTC? Name?

My local pharmacy compounds it. It's called rhst-ox. $25 you get 3 vials you take without food or caffeine once a week at the same time each week. Without that medicine if I get it it's so bad my wife had to drive me to the doctor to get a shot cause I'm so swelled I can't see. You'll still get it but it cuts the severity down 80%.

thwack16

Quote from: Poleaxe on April 18, 2017, 03:29:20 PM

My local pharmacy compounds it. It's called rhst-ox. $25 you get 3 vials you take without food or caffeine once a week at the same time each week. Without that medicine if I get it it's so bad my wife had to drive me to the doctor to get a shot cause I'm so swelled I can't see. You'll still get it but it cuts the severity down 80%.

Interesting. Wife is a pharmacist and hasn't mentioned it, I'll have to get her on that.. My eyes swell up too, usually it's just bow season, but I've been covered up for two weeks now. Thanks.

Marc

My understanding is that poison oak and poison ivy are basically the same substance...

I killed a bird on Saturday, and watched him walking right through the stuff.  As happy as I was to take him, I had no inclination of "motor-boating" this bird...

I did wipe down his feet and used a glove to carry him back, and I have to assume the back support in my vest prevented me from getting any on me.

I use Tecnu or some other soap meant to cleanse the oils of poison oak/poison ivy after each hunt, even if I do not think I came in contact with it....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Poleaxe

Quote from: thwack16 on April 18, 2017, 04:15:16 PM
Quote from: Poleaxe on April 18, 2017, 03:29:20 PM

Interesting. Wife is a pharmacist and hasn't mentioned it, I'll have to get her on that.. My eyes swell up too, usually it's just bow season, but I've been covered up for two weeks now. Thanks.

I'll pm you more info.

Bowguy

Anything that contacts poison ivy can transfer it to you. Say Drs for up to a year. If it's on your boots, clothes, in your truck, etc. animals shed or mount so it's less time. A very easy way to avoid it though is dawn soap. It breaks down the oils so if you're worried just wash w that as soon as you finish. If it's fresh on bird n you touch it n wash you shouldn't get it.
I'm allergic to it n it works

Geechie

Phillips you should quit hunting , seems that clearly  you lack the mental and physical fortitude to beat poison ivy!

TRG3

Not only poison ivy can be transferred from gobblers, but ticks as well. I normally keep my hunting clothes on, which have been sprayed with permethrin, to clean my turkeys but changed into shorts since it was so hot last weekend and picked up a couple of ticks. I never have ticks when in my sprayed hunting clothes. Regardless on the heat, in the future I'll keep my hunting clothes on.

Tennessee Lead

Poleaxe I used to be just like you I just needed to be near it and I was blistered all over.
My buddies knew it to.
One day they dog piled me and tied vines around me (they weren't allergic) I broke out terrible bad.
I couldn't close my hands and barely could see. After that I can't remember ever having outbreaks and that's been nearly 20 years ago. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or I just outgrew it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

I dont get it bad enough to notice. I gotta be sitting in it or touching the leaves and I get some itchy bumps and thats it. I guess if you are that badly allergic, you could probably get it from a turkey that was wading through a patch of it.

sixbird

Maybe this will help someone...There's a product named Technu. It's a lotion that you use kind of like soap. If you think, or know that you've been exposed, you put this stuff on for a little while and rinse it off. It takes the oil off of your skin. Stuff works for me...Here's a link...
https://www.teclabsinc.com/products/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu

catman529

Quote from: sixbird on April 19, 2017, 10:08:38 AM
Maybe this will help someone...There's a product named Technu. It's a lotion that you use kind of like soap. If you think, or know that you've been exposed, you put this stuff on for a little while and rinse it off. It takes the oil off of your skin. Stuff works for me...Here's a link...
I think dawn dish soap would work just as good. Cold water because hot opens the pores on your skin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erno86

I'm assuming that turkeys are immune to poison ivy, because poison ivy seeds are part of a turkey's staple food diet.

Marc

Quote from: catman529 on April 19, 2017, 01:14:37 PM

Quote from: sixbird on April 19, 2017, 10:08:38 AM
I think dawn dish soap would work just as good. Cold water because hot opens the pores on your skin

Technu is expensive stuff, and I also mentioned it in my post...  There are currently other soaps (that are less expensive) advertised to remove the oils of poison ivy/poison oak...

I have tried Dawn myself...  I did not get poison oak, but then again, I was not aware of walking through any that day (just a preventative).  Problem with Dawn, or any other dish washing soap is that it is difficult to wash the soap itself off your body.  Granted, it is made to remove oil (off of dishes), but it seems to stick to the skin...  I would think that if the soap itself stays on your skin, then some of the oils from poison oak/ivy would too???

And for those of you that do not know, it is my understanding, that it is not the poison oak/ivy itself that causes the reaction, it is your own body being tricked into making antibodies which basically attack yourself (auto-immune response).  In other words, the oils from this stuff would not cause any damage or issues to our skin or body, it is our own bodies over-reactive response to it that causes the rash.

The more times you come into contact with the stuff the worse the reaction is (especially in a short time frame).

Some people are more susceptible to the stuff, but my understanding is, that if you come into contact with it enough, everyone will eventually be susceptible to it...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.