OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I hate hens!!!

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 11, 2011, 01:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Well I have hunted two days so far and no kills for the kids I am taking.  I am getting sick of hens.  Both mornings I set up and with in 30 minutes I have had hens in my decoys but no toms.  Later in the day, we have been seeing flocks of birds and put the moves on them only to have the hens walk away from us.  In the evening, I sit by the roost and can call hens in but again no toms.  What is up?  I can call hens in when they are without toms but when they have toms, they turn away.  I have tried getting in a hen fight and keeping it soft but nothing works.  I hope the hens start to break away soon so I can get a tom alone to play with.

Struttin Spurs

I'm having the same problems here. Hopefully the hens start thinning out before too long. Maybe by this weekend there will be some lonesome toms around.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

FttFttVroom!

I LOVE one hen in particular where I hunt.  She has earned the name "black widow" as she's led three different toms to their demise.  Two fell to my gun and one to my father.

VAHUNTER

i been fighting hens the past 2 days myself. opening day (Saturday) i had a hen in my lap and a strutter behind a blowdown at 45yds. of course he stayed right there until the huzzy went back to him. i was praying "please go to the right or left" NOPE!!!! had to walk straight away lol. just part of it. i'm off to a great start. i have had two great hunts even though i have not pulled the trigger. I love everything about it . even the hens
Good things come to those who wait

cannonball

Same here, can't win for the hens.

3.5inchpainfulldeath

I feel your pain.  Two days hunting so far in VA...  Saturday, Opener, didn't hear or see anything.  Today..  two birds fired up, came into 75 yards, and 8 hens appeared from the valley and they walked right away with my dinner.... great hunts though...  love it.

3.5inchpainfulldeath

Quote from: Double28 on April 11, 2011, 10:24:33 PM
I guess I'm lucky, haven't seen a hen yet, probably why the toms want us so bad!

yes you are lucky!!!!!