OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Merriams success and disappointment

Started by Farmboy27, April 17, 2017, 08:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Well my first (and maybe only) merriams hunt is in the books. First the good part. My friend and I both killed 2 gobblers. We had a blast on the trip out remembering old times and past hunts and checking out the scenery. Now the bad.  We went through an outfitter on a self-guided hunt. Well, the outfitter had us hunting on a property 2 hours away from the lodging. When we booked the hunt he told me that some of his leases were about a 30 minute drive away and ask if we were ok with that. I don't consider 78 miles on back roads a 30 minute drive!  The property he put us on was 15000 acres (so he said). Problem was the only habitat was on the extreme east and west borders. The birds roosted there and then flew down onto the next property.  The outfitter said "you'll just have to ambush them in the evening". What the heck do we do the rest of the day?!!  Long story short, we got our birds (although I can't really say I enjoyed the "hunting" that much. Now I get home and the taxidermist I took my bird too says it's too shot up to mount. This bird was 35 yards and there wasn't more than 5 feathers on the ground when it was over.   The bird was a bit damp from being in the cooler and he kept pointing and picking at spots saying no way, I can't fix this. So I'm not sure what I'm doing with the bird yet(my other one was shot up pretty bad below the neck). Over all I don't regret going. I got to see lots of really interesting things. But the 78 mile drive to hunt each morning and the fact that the property we were put on only held roosting birds kind of put a dampener on the experience. Get back to find out I can't mount the bird is really a kick in the pants. But hey, at least I got my birds!

g8rvet

You made the best of a bad situation and got some results.  Great job. 

I had a similar experience with a duck lease and a dishonest ex-lawyer, who at least I get the satisfaction is now in jail (for other nefarious activity). 

It is all a crap shoot and I want to go out west to hunt, but I worry.  Took my Dad on a pronghorn hunt that was awesome though.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

HawkeyeGobbler

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 17, 2017, 08:12:15 PM
Well my first (and maybe only) merriams hunt is in the books. First the good part. My friend and I both killed 2 gobblers. We had a blast on the trip out remembering old times and past hunts and checking out the scenery. Now the bad.  We went through an outfitter on a self-guided hunt. Well, the outfitter had us hunting on a property 2 hours away from the lodging. When we booked the hunt he told me that some of his leases were about a 30 minute drive away and ask if we were ok with that. I don't consider 78 miles on back roads a 30 minute drive!  The property he put us on was 15000 acres (so he said). Problem was the only habitat was on the extreme east and west borders. The birds roosted there and then flew down onto the next property.  The outfitter said "you'll just have to ambush them in the evening". What the heck do we do the rest of the day?!!  Long story short, we got our birds (although I can't really say I enjoyed the "hunting" that much. Now I get home and the taxidermist I took my bird too says it's too shot up to mount. This bird was 35 yards and there wasn't more than 5 feathers on the ground when it was over.   The bird was a bit damp from being in the cooler and he kept pointing and picking at spots saying no way, I can't fix this. So I'm not sure what I'm doing with the bird yet(my other one was shot up pretty bad below the neck). Over all I don't regret going. I got to see lots of really interesting things. But the 78 mile drive to hunt each morning and the fact that the property we were put on only held roosting birds kind of put a dampener on the experience. Get back to find out I can't mount the bird is really a kick in the pants. But hey, at least I got my birds!

Speaking to the non-mountable issue, have you got a second opinion? or is the bird still in 1 piece? Reason I ask is I have had a couple real ratty critters get mounted and they turned out well. Not sure about how they'l hold up over the coming years but at least when I got them up til now they look totally great. On one of them I had a taxi say no way, I had another take a look and he said he'd seen worse and felt okay about trying it. Some taxi's have enough business to keep their bills paid they can get kinda funny on what they will or won't do. Their right completely, if it's too time consuming or out of their comfort zone it's safer for them to pass on it, rather than do a poor job and risk you trashing their name.

If you are dead set on a mount I would honestly seek at least 1 or 2 other opinions. If you don't care what happens, I say let someone just starting out take a whack at it for experience, if nothing else even if they really butcher it you can at least probably save the fan and beard.

SteelerFan

Well...

Congrats on the scenery, commaraderie, and dead birds!!

That stinks about the actual hunt set-up, and all...

Maybe a nice fan / beard / grip & grin 11"x14" photo display??

MK M GOBL

Wish this is where there was an Outfitter Review Section, unless I have missed this on here...

Congrats and making the best out of a bad situation, I would ask around about the mount. Some taxidermists will not take some work as it show "poor" of their work if they thought it might not turn out to their standard...

MK M GOBL

Farmboy27

I'm gonna get a "second opinion" on the bird from another taxidermist or two. I'm kind of thinking that the one I went to is busy and doesn't want to spend any time on less than perfect specimens!  I've had animals mounted by him before but the last 2 (a buck I shot 2 years ago and my sons buck last year) he acted like he was doing to much "extra work" to mount them. Mine because it was shot in the neck with a rifle and my boys because it had a broadhead hole in the chest. I'm just thinking "come on!  If it wouldn't be for that damage, then the animal wouldn't be in your shop!"

renegade19

Congrats on the birds,  bummer on the rest. 

g8rvet

Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 17, 2017, 09:40:42 PM
I'm just thinking "come on!  If it wouldn't be for that damage, then the animal wouldn't be in your shop!"

Dear Farmboy27,

In the future, please follow game animals around until they die of natural causes.

Sincerely,
Your (soon to be ex) taxidermist
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

ILHUNTER

Congrats on making the best out of the situation.  I too would get another opinion on mounting the bird.  My taxidermist's is good at fixing bare spots, even a whole neck that is blew up and stripped of feathers can be fixed.

hobbes

Find someone that specializes in turkeys and they can mount it.  There are a lot of taxidermists that suck at turkeys no matter what their condition. 

Too bad on the outfitter.  An outfitter isn't really needed for Merriam's.  They are too readily accessible on public land.

HookedonHooks

Congrats! Way to atleast make the best of it, a nice tail fan display with beard, spurs, and a picture always looks nice.

Farmboy27

Quote from: g8rvet on April 18, 2017, 11:13:54 AM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on April 17, 2017, 09:40:42 PM
I'm just thinking "come on!  If it wouldn't be for that damage, then the animal wouldn't be in your shop!"

Dear Farmboy27,

In the future, please follow game animals around until they die of natural causes.

Sincerely,
Your (soon to be ex) taxidermist
Lol! Now that's funny! 

OkatieHunter

I hate that you had that experience. I have had great experiences in Wyoming and SD hunting Merriams and am going to ID this year. I love hunting out west!
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to."

-The Colonel

WNCTracker

I have never hunted turkeys out west, but would really like to sometime. Congrats farmboy on your success despite the challenges. Just curious though..., what's a ball park merriams hunt go for all in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LI Outdoorsman

Despite being kind of a pain I guess you both filling your tags on a DIY hunt cant be all bad..As far as the busted up birds...S&%T happens...Try using smaller shot and not letting them get too close where they get the full pattern..but thats a tough call..usually a decent taxidermist can work around beat up birds,,but some are very meticulous and feel the final product represents their work so they only want birds in primo condition.
Congrats on getting your Merriams!