OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long do you hunt?

Started by supremepredator, April 17, 2017, 04:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremepredator

I usually stay till 10:00 am and sometimes hunt evenings in a field where i know birds are moving from 3:00 to 5:00 pm. I haven't been running and gunning much cause i dont want to mess the other hunters up. When i do run and gun, i do so after 9:00 or 10:00 am.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

turkeyfeathers

I drive an hour to hunt the 70 acres I hunt. Private land. Almost always hunt til noon ( that's the cut off in NY)  I know there's birds there but as you know they don't always talk. Always afraid to leave early and miss that opportunity. Same reason I can't nap in the woods.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: turkeyfeathers on April 17, 2017, 04:10:34 PM
I drive an hour to hunt the 70 acres I hunt. Private land. Almost always hunt til noon ( that's the cut off in NY)  I know there's birds there but as you know they don't always talk. Always afraid to leave early and miss that opportunity. Same reason I can't nap in the woods.

same here...I am also in NY and hunt until 12 most days since we cant hunt afternoons.  All my gobblers I have got so far were before 10am BUT on the way out of the woods I have ran into some toms and jakes around 11am-12 so I know the potential to get them exists at those times too.

Tom Foolery

Greg Massey

I always carry my lunch and stay till around 2 clock , but weather plays a lot in that deciding factory...

30_06

However long work allows me.....so far it is not allowing.

Esse quam videri

CMBOSTC

Quote from: turkeyfeathers on April 17, 2017, 04:10:34 PM

Man, you have no idea what you're missing. Naps in the woods are the best!

Happy

Long as I can or as long as legally allowed. Unless I kill a bird.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

All day out West. Hour or so at home in Spring and all day in Fall

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

albrubacker

Till the wife threatens to leave me!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Kylongspur88

Lucky_Strutter

^
This, if the birds are gobbling I'll hunt all day, if not I pack it in around noon.
The Great White Spur Hunter

catman529

All day whenever I can. Might go to the store for lunch around 2 or 3 if no birds are talking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neill_Prater

Here in MO, pretty much until the 1:00 closing if I don't have other obligations. In other states where I can hunt all day, I normally don't spend the whole day in the woods, but even when I take a break for lunch or rest, I usually stay close to a hunting area. On more than one occasion, while eating lunch or taking a catnap, I have heard a bird gobble or spotted one crossing a road or field.

BB30

Depends on the day and the to do list at the house. Generally, I will hunt up to around 2. If I am going to leave the woods for a bite to eat and come back I actually try to do it before 9 there is a little place a half a mile down the road from us to get a quick bite. Ill give them a bit of time especially early in the season to break off from the hens and be back in there around 9-930.