turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what have you found?

Started by sswv, April 17, 2017, 12:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampchickin234

Not turkey hunting related, but ill never forget this one. Was duck hunting in a public wma.  Some feller apparently decided he did not need his brand new drake waterfowl 4in 1 duck jacket.  In it was 13 shells, his wallet, all of his identification, and 11 100$ bills, his duck calls with his Bands on them, a gps, and a remote for his dog coller.  The guy was from South Carolina and this was in Arkansas.  Was able to contact him and get his stuff back to him , but what was crazy, he had lost it 4 days prior to that. He said the hole was on the gps, but it didn't help him because his gps was in his coat.  He was mighty glad to get that back to say the least.  Never forget that.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

WildTigerTrout

Not really weird but turkey related.  A few years ago I was hunting on the last day of our fall turkey season and noticed something white off the edge of the trail I was walking.  It turned out to be a white piece of cloth between the lid and the body of a box call.  I thought it's more than likely no good and been exposed to the elements for a period of time.  I was wrong.  It was in perfect shape and I assume the owner had lost it earlier that day. I was hunting on public land and the call had no name or address on it.  I took it and figured if I heard of someone and his lost call I would return it.  Never heard anything and I still have it and use it.  It is a early 1970's vintage Lynch "World Champion".  Sounds great and gets better with age!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

HookedonHooks

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 19, 2017, 04:20:16 PM
Not really weird but turkey related.  A few years ago I was hunting on the last day of our fall turkey season and noticed something white off the edge of the trial I was walking.  It turned out to be a white piece of cloth between the lid and the body of a box call.  I thought it's more than likely no good and been exposed to the elements for a period of time.  I was wrong.  It was in perfect shape and I assume the owner had lost it earlier that day. I was hunting on public land and the call had no name or address on it.  I took it and figured if I heard of someone and his lost call I would return it.  Never heard anything and I still have it and use it.  It is a early 1970's vintage Lynch "World Champion".  Sounds great and gets better with age!

You found a Glorious one. That same call I've killed more turkeys over that same box call than any other call. It's the nicest most consistent sounding call I've ever used. It also gobbles like a champ with a rubber band.

Cutt

Found this on public Game Lands few years ago. Was located in a deep dredge line with little standing water in the bottom. My guess it was out of sight unless you climbed up and looked down in the dredge line, and with the little standing water, it would keep them alive? From the looks of it, I don't think they ever made their harvest?

owlhoot

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on April 17, 2017, 03:02:47 PM
Quote from: guesswho on April 17, 2017, 12:44:33 PM
I found somebody's leg one time in Georgia.  Mostly bone.  From the hip joint all the way to the toes.   Found an old moonshine still just prior to that.  Have walked up on a couple different small marijuana crops.  Found an old tent with what appeared to be a freshly skinned dog hanging beside it, could have been a coyote but looked like Bowzer to me.

I found a guy missing a leg that smelled of moonshine and marijuana looked like he had been living out of a tent and had recently skinned a canine.
Morgan county   :emoticon-cartoon-012:

supremepredator

"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

owlhoot

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 17, 2017, 04:36:01 PM
I have found a cemetery in the middle of no where with no roads for a couple of miles in any direction. there were about a dozen graves ranging from early  1800s to mid 1800s. even a set of twins that were both 3 years old when they passed.
European immigrants who had the small pox?
I have found a cemetery with about 10 stones I could make out where all the young kids died within a month or so and the parents died quite a few years later.  Twins were 18 months old if I remember correctly. Looked up the dates then and was around the same time as London was hit very hard.
Must have been tragic times.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 19, 2017, 04:37:21 PM
Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 19, 2017, 04:20:16 PM
Not really weird but turkey related.  A few years ago I was hunting on the last day of our fall turkey season and noticed something white off the edge of the trial I was walking.  It turned out to be a white piece of cloth between the lid and the body of a box call.  I thought it's more than likely no good and been exposed to the elements for a period of time.  I was wrong.  It was in perfect shape and I assume the owner had lost it earlier that day. I was hunting on public land and the call had no name or address on it.  I took it and figured if I heard of someone and his lost call I would return it.  Never heard anything and I still have it and use it.  It is a early 1970's vintage Lynch "World Champion".  Sounds great and gets better with age!

You found a Glorious one. That same call I've killed more turkeys over that same box call than any other call. It's the nicest most consistent sounding call I've ever used. It also gobbles like a champ with a rubber band.
I agree it has a great sound, pure turkey right there!  After giving it a little thought I have concluded I have had that call for about 15 years and currently display it on my bookcase in the man cave.  Boy time really passes quickly.  I often wonder about the original owner.  I am sure he was sick about the loss.  You can see where he held the bottom of the box while calling.  My guess is he bought the call new.  I wonder how many birds were killed with it.  Guess I will never know. 
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Chilly

I found a Garmin GPS dog tracking handheld in the woods on a WMA.  I put new batteries in it and it came on.  My buddy recognized the dogs names from a coon hunt.  I finally found his phone number by asking around and got in touch with him. He was excited to get it back.  Had been missing for a few months and a critter had been packing it around.  Had several teeth marks on it.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: owlhoot on April 19, 2017, 06:17:11 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 17, 2017, 04:36:01 PM
I have found a cemetery in the middle of no where with no roads for a couple of miles in any direction. there were about a dozen graves ranging from early  1800s to mid 1800s. even a set of twins that were both 3 years old when they passed.
European immigrants who had the small pox?
I have found a cemetery with about 10 stones I could make out where all the young kids died within a month or so and the parents died quite a few years later.  Twins were 18 months old if I remember correctly. Looked up the dates then and was around the same time as London was hit very hard.
Must have been tragic times.

your most likely right. its sad seeing all those childrens graves.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TRG3

While mountain goat hunting in SE Alaska, I found a Puma knife that had been there for a while. In Southern Illinois, I found a box of shells one at a time strung down a levy as I exited a flooded timber duck hunting spot. Several years ago while turkey hunting in the Shawnee National Forest in Pope County, Illinois, I found an old well at ground level wedged between two big trees at least a half-mile from the road and no other structures around. I marked it with orange tape, but that's probably gone by now.

tha bugman

found a half naked drunk college girl and her lab.  She had put her Chevy in the ditch.  She came up to my truck pressed herself against it and said "Do you have a jerkstrap?"  I was talking to The Boss Hen on the phone and had one of the Lil' Poults in the backseat.  My first thought was, this is a setup.  I am about to have a gun pulled on me and get car jacked in the middle of no where.  I said " I do not, but I will send someone that does."  Then that's when The Boss Hen starts asking.."Who are you talking to?"   County deputy came and picked her up...2X legal limit.   :z-dizzy:

MT elk slayer

out turkey hunting here in Montana last weekend, loaded down with decoys, call, and my gun. start walking in the direction that I heard a gobbler earlier in the morning, he was WAY deep in the timber. I get about a mile from the truck and find a winter kill 5x2 mule deer skull. I think that is kind of cool, keep on walking towards the gobbler and look down to find a brown 7 pt bull elk shed, walk about another 500 yds towards the gobbler with an extra 20-30 lbs on my back and find the matching set to the 7 pt I found, another 7 pt brown shed, perfectly symmetrical set. I am guessing somewhere in the 360" range. Pick up that shed and start carrying it, walk about another hundred yds and hit my call. Get a response about two hundred yds away in the timber. I start scrambling to set up decoys and get set up with these monster sheds and buck skull as part of my cover up against an old doug-fir tree. Sit for about a half hour and no response, next thing you know I can see something strutting through the timber. Here comes 3 toms and 25 hens working their way down to me. Get a tom to break free and come check out my decoys at 12 yds and smoked a 9.5" beard beautiful tom. Then I think to myself, god i'm a dumb kid, now I gotta carry out this bird, all of my gear, two big bull sheds, and a buck skull back  two miles to the truck. Lesson learned, the old guys back at the truck looked at me with this big heaping pile of stuff and just laughed and said "looks like you found some stuff and got a bird."  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
When the bulls ain't talkin, hit the ice, when the ice is melted, break out the ol box call