turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Diaphragm Mouth Calls-Why?

Started by Gobble Nole, April 16, 2017, 09:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble Nole

Ok, I have been turkey hunting for about 6 years and I consider myself to be a decent mouth caller.  The first one I ever bought was a limb hanger from Primos, and I still love that call.  I can yelp, purr, cut, cackle, cluck, etc...  and I pretty much know when to do certain calls. 

I have branched out to others but mainly live between Primos and Woodhaven; but I have learned a few things. 

I do not like hard tape.  I know that the red Wasp from Woodhaven is one of their most popular calls, but I absolutely hate how stiff the tape is.  The black wasp is much better for me due to the tape being so much more pliable. 

Also, I like the upper end Primos calls, they sound great, good rasp, and with the thicker latex they do not stick nearly as bad.  They also have softer tape that seals up well and makes me happy despite the higher cost. 

This post was meant to ask you not only what mouth calls do you like, but why...

I understand all of them will kill turkeys at certain times of the year and in certain situations.  I just want to know what make the difference for you the hunter/consumer...

Thanks,

GN

Happy

Sound. Pure and simple. I have got a big mouth haha so call size doesn't effect my ability. I do like smaller tape just because. I prefer calls that aren't to raspy and have a pretty clean front end.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom Foolery

The Preston Pittman Vengeance is the best call I've used.  I struggle with most getting a good seal but not with the Pittman.

Clardh

I'm a woodhaven guy and I use a ghost cut. Toxic orange. I too have found that some Woodheaven calls tape is too rigid. It actually gets wedged in my mouth. I stick to that call because it has always worked for me. I often fool with the idea of contacting Gooserbat on this forum. I hear he will make custom calls for individuals and you are able to talk directly to him. Now that's customer service!

Gobble Nole

Its funny...

I always assumed that the high end crazy cuts must be better at killing turkeys, but in my opinion that is not true.  If I only could have one call it would be the Primos Limbhanger.  Love the tape, I can make all turkey sounds with it including a super awesome kee kee, and  its cheap. 

What are the Gooserbat calls like?  Is the tape stiff???

albrubacker

I wouldn't consider gooserbat hard tape. I like his calls.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Cottonmouth

I use Hook's calls with the full size tape. Executioner 2 and game changer 3.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 16, 2017, 10:49:57 PM
I use Hook's calls with the full size tape. Executioner 2 and game changer 3.

I also have to use full size tape with Hook's....which is about the same as regular tape on other calls. 

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildTigerTrout

I like mouth calls because there is ZERO movement.  The last half dozen gobblers I killed were all taken with mouth calls alone.  My two favorites are the Primos "True Triple" and "True Double" Stacked Frames.  My favorite mouth call for fall is the  Primos "Limbhanger".  Kee Kee runs on this call are easy.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Gobble Nole

I like the stacked frame as well simply because the reeds do not stick together. 

Each morning I have to swish around water with most calls before hunting to get the reeds to loosen up. 

Poleaxe

I have so many mouth calls it's quite amusing. My "go to's" WERE Woodhavens until I took someone's advice and bought a David halloran split v and I doubt I'll find anything to compare. Soft and flexible tape. Easy to get it quite or loud. Not too raspy with crisp cuts. Yal can use what you want but just drop $8 on one and see if you don't think the same.

g8rvet

Sounds like I need to try some new calls. 

Mostly, for me, the glass is my go to call, with the mouth call for close in or surprise work.  So I like one that I can cluck, purr and very soft yelp on.  The Raspy Old Hen by primos I think is the one that fits my mouth and style best. 

Anyone have any suggestions for a similar one, especially someone that makes them custom.  The big ones don't fit my mouth well, but the ones for kids are too small. So in spite of what my wife says, maybe I DON'T have a big mouth!  ;)
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Poleaxe

Quote from: g8rvet on April 18, 2017, 11:18:49 AM
Sounds like I need to try some new calls. 

Mostly, for me, the glass is my go to call, with the mouth call for close in or surprise work.  So I like one that I can cluck, purr and very soft yelp on.  The Raspy Old Hen by primos I think is the one that fits my mouth and style best. 

Anyone have any suggestions for a similar one, especially someone that makes them custom.  The big ones don't fit my mouth well, but the ones for kids are too small. So in spite of what my wife says, maybe I DON'T have a big mouth!  ;)

I thought that very same thing too until I bought that halloran. It takes so little air to use it.

AR Cowboy

Woodhaven Wasp and various cuts of the Yellow Yelpers. I like a nasty, raspy ole hen sounding mouth call except for one ghost cut call I use to sometimes seal the deal.