OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Problem purring using a mouth call.....maybe use a small frame ?

Started by Va limbhanger, April 16, 2017, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Va limbhanger

I've never been able to purr using a mouth call unless I use my lips. I don't think it sounds as real as you guys who flutter your tongue.
I can easily flutter my tongue also, but without the mouth call in.
I'm thinking that regular sized calls ( tried about all brands and cuts) are not letting the call go high enough and that's why I can't make the flutter with the call in place.
I'd really love to be able to purr with a mouth call instead of relying on a pot call, especially when the Tom comes into sight.
I've ordered a few "small frame" mouth calls (wood haven) just to see if this will help.
Anyone else have this problem and used a small frame call to fix it?
Remington 870 Super Magnum/FF3/Kick's GT .665

Benelli SBEII/FF3/Rhino .665

Marc

If you can flutter your tongue, move the call back further in your throat when you try to purr...

I can flutter my tongue quite easily but could not purr to save my life.  Until I moved the call back further towards my throat (away from my teeth).  It is not comfortable at first, and I cannot yelp with the call that far back, but I can still cluck.

Also relax your checks and let your lips flutter... 

So, find an easy call to blow, move the call back, relax your lips and cheeks while you flutter your tongue.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Va limbhanger

Gobble Nole

Buy a Primos Limbhanger call. 

Super simple mouth call and easy to learn how to purr on...

Purring on a mouth call is much easier with soft tape, the limb hanger is the best in my opinion for soft calling and over all turkey finishing sounds. 

Va limbhanger

I wasn't aware that the limbhanger was still around. That was my favorite diaphragm call several years back. It has the brown tape I think?

MK M GOBL

Have you tried the "Gargle" method? Easiest way for me to purr.

MK M GOBL

Va limbhanger

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 17, 2017, 09:43:19 PM

MK M GOBL

No, and if you could give me some insight to this method i will give it a shot!

turkaholic

Check out utube video by Scott Ellis. Watching his video did the trick for me. Primos limb hanger is still available, I think at Wings and Midwest turkey supply.
live to hunt hunt to live

Va limbhanger

Quote from: turkaholic on April 18, 2017, 05:28:29 AM
Check out utube video by Scott Ellis. Watching his video did the trick for me. Primos limb hanger is still available, I think at Wings and Midwest turkey supply.

Thanks turkaholic, and I'll surely check out Scott Ellis's vid and see if I can locate another limbhanger call from MTS.

VaBoy

All the old Primos calls are still available on there website. I'm partial to the True Triple . Great call if it doesn't choke you.

kjnengr

I purr by fluttering my tongue.  I have never been able to do the gargle method.  I do have to re-position the mouth call slightly to go from yelps to purrs and back to yelps.  And if I remember correctly, I don't put nearly as much pressure from my tongue as I do when yelping.

Va limbhanger

Quote from: VaBoy on April 18, 2017, 08:33:08 AM
All the old Primos calls are still available on there website. I'm partial to the True Triple . Great call if it doesn't choke you.

Thanks (to everyone) for trying to help me succeed with this. I've got a few small frame calls coming and if they don't show me some promise then I will be ordering one of my old time favorites (limbhanger). Even though I don't think I could pur using the Limbhanger either. LOL

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Va limbhanger on April 18, 2017, 04:07:26 AM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 17, 2017, 09:43:19 PM

MK M GOBL

No, and if you could give me some insight to this method i will give it a shot!

Really pretty simple, if you can already gargle. If not start by "practicing" with water no call in mouth, gargle water until you can control those muscles, once you get that going start to learn to gargle soft and hard. Then forget the water and do the same, last thing is add in the mouth call and go from there.

Hope this helps!

MK M GOBL

Gobble Nole

Im telling you...

The limbhanger was the key for me.  I highly recommend it or at least a softer call.  The super stiff calls, like some of the woodhaven calls, are almost impossible to purr on. 

For me anyway...

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobble Nole on April 18, 2017, 10:10:34 PM
Im telling you...

The limbhanger was the key for me.  I highly recommend it or at least a softer call.  The super stiff calls, like some of the woodhaven calls, are almost impossible to purr on. 

For me anyway...

HMMmmm, All I use are Woodhaven Diaphragm Calls, must have a dozen different calls and have never had and issue purring on any of them or any call, not to say some don't carry a different tone but I am really liking the Toxic Orange I have, was in their Ghost Pack.

MK M GOBL