OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Most Lethal Turkey load you have ever used?

Started by jb177, April 14, 2017, 11:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

With out a doubt Shooter's 12 ga Devastator tss load. I've now pretty much converted to the 20 ga and tss but that 12 ga load is beyond its name sake.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

Tss. Without a doubt. 99 percent of the time its bang and no flop.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

dawgfrombama

For me its a toss up between Xtended Range 6s and Magblends.  Luckily I have a couple of boxes of each

Ontario_caller

Quote from: 5arraquiver on April 15, 2017, 08:59:49 AM
Remington once made a turkey load that had heavy somewhere in the name I think. Back in 2000 to 2002 I believe. The shells were dark olive green with black brass. They were #6's and amazing turkey shells. Couldn't find them again when I ran out.  I haven't been as confident in a load until I picked up a box of LB 3" 6's.

This was a great load , it was called Remington HD. I still have 7 boxes of BB that crushes coyotes and one box of 20 gauge #6 left.
These were perfectly round super dense pellets that patterned great and hit like a truck.
Not like that teardropped shaped enviro stuff.
If I remember correctly it was Remington that started this heavier than lead HD craze with this load and then gave the market away by discontinuing there loads. What the!
There He IS !

Gobble!

jb177

Looks like I'm not the only one that misses the old XRHD shells.  My patterns were never super but they just killed.

I get good patterns with the mag blends but they just don't seem to kill the same.  I cleaned 5 birds last week shot by magblends.  No pellets in the breast.

May give TSS #8 a try.  A friend has all the stuff except the shot. 

owlhoot

Quote from: jb177 on April 15, 2017, 02:19:25 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one that misses the old XRHD shells.  My patterns were never super but they just killed.

I get good patterns with the mag blends but they just don't seem to kill the same.  I cleaned 5 birds last week shot by magblends.  No pellets in the breast.

May give TSS #8 a try.  A friend has all the stuff except the shot.
? Thought the Winchester XRHD  was the same density as the Hevi shot . So what's the difference between the two?

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 15, 2017, 11:33:38 AM
Tss. Without a doubt. 99 percent of the time its bang and no flop.

^^^This^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silencer223

Remington Nitro Turkeys 3" 1 7/8 oz shot. Killed all my spring birds with it. Never used anything else. Call them in close and have fun, no need to shoot past 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

The old first Turkey loads Federal came out with in 12 gauge..3 inch with 2 oz. number 5....i still have 4 of these in 12 gauge and i have a full box of 3.5 in 4 and 6...

30_06

The first run of Hevi-13 2oz #7's blew the back side of a turkeys head off at 25-30 yards...it's been a while can't remember the exact distance. Haven't seen the same since.

Esse quam videri

turkeywhisperer935

Nitro h518 7 shot. No comparison other than tss.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: wvspitndrum on April 15, 2017, 08:54:58 AM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 15, 2017, 02:46:52 AM
Anybody else ever shot Penetrator Activs? All but one or two shells me and my dad had each put a bird on the ground. They were full plastic casing, and something about them was just sweet. Now they're no where to be found.
I shot them and they did well for me , they are now Kent Cartridge, their turkey load is the ultimate diamond shot,my buddy shoots them and loves them ,out shot longbeards and everything else he tried !
I have shot the Kents and they're nice. But they're not the Activs..... Those things were just killer shells and I loved the full plastic. Makes a nice beard topper.

Ihuntoldschool

All of them are lethal.  Just shoot them in the head and neck and they go right down. I don't shoot them in the breast so I don't really care how far they penetrate the breast meat.  I use the Federal Strut Shoks just cause I personally don't like all that copper stuff.

grayfox

Hevi-13 2oz #7's  It just flattens them.