Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most Lethal Turkey load you have ever used?

Started by jb177, April 14, 2017, 11:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Nitro Ray's Nitro rounds (5101's) shot out of a Mossberg 835 with a Rhino choke.
That stuff really whomped the birds.
It also whomped the shooter. :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jblackburn

I always liked the old Winchester XX supremes (red shell). I still shoot them in my 835. I've been using Hevi 6s in my 3 inch 870 and they are wicked
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

coonhunter

Not sure about more lethal but I loved the old Winchester supreme 3 1/2" #6 (black hull). I killed a lot of turkeys with those loads. Never missed one with them and now I have missed two in 3 years with the long beards. ??  May not be the shell though!!??
Joshua 24:15

PineyRooster

GSLAM95

Gun - 20 gauge Federal Heavyweight #7's
Bow - Gobbler Guillotines

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Lucky_Strutter

Nitro Company H517 they are absolutely wicked out of my 11-87 & IC choke, a close second would be 3.5 Hevi-13 7's
The Great White Spur Hunter

IssaquahBob

Tried various ones over the years but now have settled on Winchester LongBeard XR 12 ga 3" 1 3/4oz #5 shot.

Sunday, took down a nice 2-year old jake at 48 paces; bird just dropped when hit!

jb177

I liked the Winchester LB #5 but they are just too tight up close for me.  I shot them out of .665 and they were just really tight at 20 yards.

taylorjones20

Used to be Nitro H321. Then Hevi 3.5" #7.  Magblends.

Now - Nothing compares to TSS.
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gamblinman

TSS loads where its legal. Federal Heavyweight 7's in the others.

I got tired of Nitro Rays and their pixie dust shot. They must use the floor sweepings or the shot manufacturer has poor quality control that's passed on to the consumer.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

tha bugman

Quote from: 5arraquiver on April 15, 2017, 08:59:49 AM
Remington once made a turkey load that had heavy somewhere in the name I think. Back in 2000 to 2002 I believe. The shells were dark olive green with black brass. They were #6's and amazing turkey shells. Couldn't find them again when I ran out.  I haven't been as confident in a load until I picked up a box of LB 3" 6's.
No doubt it had to be these Remington Hevishot...mine were 3.5" #4's through a star dot choke..lethal

jv

The old red winchester 3 1/2 #6 shot was the best I ever shot, don't like nothing with the word heavy in it.
Respect the land as well as the game you hunt.

Marc

Here in California, we are forced to use non-toxic shot for turkey hunting now...  I ain't using steel shot.

I actually think Hevi-shot is a good killer though, and probably out-preforms lead as far as ballistic function and patterning.

Honestly, outside of missing, I have never not killed a bird cause of a poor load...  I accidently shot #2 steel a couple years back and killed the bird just as dead as with a proper turkey load.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Cottonmouth

Nitro H517. 2 7/16 oz. of holy terror on a turkey head. Win extended range as a close second. Anybody ever wondered what would happen if Winchester used the longbeard xr technology with the extended range shot?